boy"O"boy's 1990 Ridgeback 704XT

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi All. :D

Way back when, my mate picked up one of these up from a Freewheel sell out day in Croydon.
Those that have been on here a while will know that I've always lusted after one of these.... but when they have come up, which is very rarely! - I've either been -
i) Selling not buying
ii) Time available but no cash
iii) Cash available but no time
iv) Moving house so no space.... ( I've moved 4 times in the last 6 years!)

So..... Last year, Just as we were packed up ready for house move number 4, and our youngest was 6 weeks old, Dossa PM's me out of the blue and asked if I'd be interested in his Ridgeback 704XT :cool:
Naturally, Not being in a position to go for this 1st time around ( Dossa and Brocklanders023 graciously giving me the heads up and asking if I wanted it 1st!) .....I wasn't going to miss out again, so a deal was done. :cool:
When the box turned up, I received a Whatsapp picture from the better half with the caption WTF!! - she was not impressed as she'd just boxed up 10 stacking boxes and dispatched them to the shed for storage when suddenly another large box turns up. The courier said to her....So you weren't expecting this huh? :evil: :evil:
Anyway, the box was absorbed into the chaos of house moving, and I began to acquire the parts needed for completion.... fortunately I was able to send them to the new address before we fully moved in 2 months later.

2018 marks my 10th year on Retrobike - so after a long pause due to Children/ Man cave building/ Car restoration / general tardiness.... I've decided that this will be the year to complete my bike projects.

There's 4 to do in total (The Pace was finished at the end of last year after 6 years!)
and i'll be documenting my progress within the Readers MTB section.

More details to follow....

In the mean time, I present my 1990 Ridgeback 704XT in all of it's Tange Prestige goodness. Paint stays original with Patina on this one, so it should be the easiest of my forth coming builds.

A huge thank you to Dossa for selling this one.... here we go!

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Ridgeback704XT4.jpg
    Ridgeback704XT4.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,036
  • Ridgeback704XT3.jpg
    Ridgeback704XT3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,036
  • Ridgeback704XT2.jpg
    Ridgeback704XT2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,037
  • Ridgeback704XT1.jpg
    Ridgeback704XT1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2,036
Re:

Pics to show the proportion with the wheels on...

Most likely I wont be using this set on this build.... I have period correct Mavic MA40's on M732 XT that are destined for this one, with IRC amberwalls

I've been saving this wheelset should I ever be in the position to buy a Dolomite attitude! :cool: as it's minty NOS!!

More pics to come as build progresses.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Ridgeback704XT6.jpg
    Ridgeback704XT6.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,037
  • Ridgeback704XT5.jpg
    Ridgeback704XT5.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,038
Re:

Very nice! :D Well worth a 'WTF' Whatsapp from the better half. I'll be watching this one with interest.

Signing in. I loved what Matty did with it and looking forward to Seeing what you do. I too dropped over these in Freewheel

Re:

More restrained paint than the model preceeding it ( my old fav) but these bikes are amazing to ride. Also looking forward to the build :cool:

Re:

It's in safe hands with boy"o"boy that's for sure..

Needless to say will be following the thread keenly!

:cool:

Re:

Thanks for all the replies so far....

Coming together a bit quicker than the Pace took me!! :oops: :shock:

Here's some pics of where I'm at...

Needs cabling up but is pretty much there.

Wheels - Went with Mavic MA40's as original spec. These had been my 'rider' wheels for the Aluminium 'O' - so a bit of cleaning up was needed but the 'used' look suits the Patina of the build in my opinion. Hubs are Deore LX. My choose to rebuild them myself to M730/2 XT later but at the moment they function perfectly. Tyres are IRC mythos.

Most of the other XT bits came from Matty (Cheers!) ... the Crankset and shifters from Ebay.

brocklanders023":35at412v said:
Very nice :cool:

Got some correct period XT gear available if you're short of anything. ;)

Thanks for the parts offer Ed, I may take you up at a later date for parts for another up coming build.

Stem - Tioga Prestige T- Bone
Bars - Tioga Prestige

I'll be on the lookout for some Tange Prestige decals for the Switch blade legs and a bigger one for the bars.

Decisions on the saddle?

1st Pics show a brown SDG Bel air that I've robbed from my Orange 5 - won't be final choice of saddle ( as I like it on the 5 too much! ) but thinking about a brown saddle?

2nd Pics with Flite.

Could do a brown Turbo saddle? - What about a brown Flite? Other options would be an Avocet R20? .... An original Red label Flite?

Any Ideas? :?

Cheers y'all

Enjoy.

boy"O"boy

Attachments

• R704XT9.jpg
    R704XT9.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 1,750
  • R704XT8.jpg
    R704XT8.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,750
  • R704XT7.jpg