Dave Yates Diabolo

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So my search for a mid 90's British frame led me to the purchase of this lovely fillet brased steel beauty. (Use your imagination :D )

You'll have to excuse the photos- I'll take more when it finally lands.

I've brought the frame & P2 fork off longbeech (Cheers chap) and the plan is to build it up with some UK components from the likes of U.S.E., Pace, Middleburn & X-Lite etc.

I've emailed Dave to see if he can shed any light on the frames history (and year of manufacture) and also to see about getting it repainted in a classic Yates colour scheme.

Gil has been contacted about decals.

nYVX5Al.jpg

7T5v7G8.jpg

JN5SdNh.jpg

I can't wait to get cracking on this one. Just hope I can do it justice.

:cool: was going to ask you what you had gone for in the end :D

So, what colours were you thinking? have you thought about clear coating over the bare frame? are you sticking with the P2's or using one of your USE forks? :) that should do, for now :LOL:

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Mark

mkone":3bctov66 said:
:cool: was going to ask you what you had gone for in the end :D

So, what colours were you thinking? have you thought about clear coating over the bare frame? are you sticking with the P2's or using one of your USE forks? :) that should do, for now :LOL:

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Mark

:D

Well;

The frame was originally white and I may just stick with that, but with a classic Yates twist. I do like the clear coat idea though. Forks will almost certainly not be the P2s ;) - but I'll still get those painted to match the frame.

Re:

P2's are a good match, mine rides really well with them... but, on fast rough downhills the combination can be a bit too rigid, which is why I have ended up having to slow down, to reduce my blurred vision..... on more than one occasion. :facepalm:

When I dig mine out again it will most likely get a pair of RC35's.

Re:

So,

First impressions.....

It is very nicely put together. The marks are just discolouration where it's been handled & should clean off easily.

It 'feels' relatively light, and is a good size, 18" Ctr-Top with a 22 3/4" top tube, so nice an long. :cool:

It's earlier than I'd first thought, with Dave Yates confirming that it is a 1992.

Frame No. is 6114 for anyone who may be interested.

I'm having a bit of a rethink with this one. I'm starting to lean towards it being a bit of a slow burner......and the idea of Campagnolo is growing on me.

I have a few ideas for painting:

1) Simply clean it up and have it powder coated clear so you can see the lovely fillets.

2) Try to reproduce the classic D.Y. 'blown' paint scheme.

3) Send it to Bob Jackson for a three colour fade.

Peoples thought would be welcomed.

Decisions decisions!!!

Back