Raleigh Peak restoration project

TeamEndurame

Dirt Disciple
Hey

Here is my early 1990s Raleigh that I'm going to restore. Believe its a Peak.

Reynolds K2 tubing and a mix of Shimano Deore XT and Deore LX

Attachments

• Raleigh.jpg
    Raleigh.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,051
Re:

hi, yes very nice is this the full k2 frame or the main frame only. the colour looks like a 92 ravine as i remember the peak being a turquoise colour in 92 and an orangy pink in 93. could be a non uk model as the decals are different. looks like its on the original cheng shin tyres aswell?
nice bike though.

cheers
andy

It is proving difficult to identify this bike. I've reviewed the catalogues on http://veterancycleclublibrary.org.uk and don't think its a Ravine. The 1992 Ravine was specced with 400LX and the 1993 with Altus. Reynolds K2 was used from 1992 until 1993. From 1994, Raleigh seemed to move to Chromoly tubing so the use of K2 seems to be limited to two years.

I'm thinking I have a K2 frame in the colours of a Ravine but with the specification of a Peak. The forks are 4130 CrMo

raleigh???

hi yeah i think your right with the ravine colours and peak spec, reason i asked if it was full or part k2 frame(reynolds decal) is because raleighs '92 & '93 off road range had the summit and peak with full k2 frame ie all tubes made from k2, and the lower spec ridge, strata,ravine and apex all came with k2 main frame, so this might help identification.
raleigh also used the reynolds k2 frame tubes in the 1994 & 95 mtrax range and dropped it for 1996 bikes opting for there own 7 tube cromo or reynolds optima light tubesets.

anyway do you have any plans for this upgrades etc?

cheers
andy

It's really interesting to see another one of these mysterious Raleighs!

I had an identical Raleigh a few years ago, also with the top tube name decal missing, but I never found out which model it was. The groupset is definitely 1993, based on the low profile black Deore LX cranks with standard chainrings (Shimano's compact chainrings came in from 1994 onwards).

The best match from the 1993 catalogue is the Peak (others had lower groupsets or a suspension fork). Mine had a sticker in German on the seat tube from 'ZEG', a German retailer:

20151228_134435-e1451329547381.jpg

My limited German tells me the sticker says this was an exclusive model to ZEG. From your photo, your looks to have the same sticker.

My guess is the Peak in this colour was produced by Raleigh for ZEG, and some found their way back to the UK market or else got sold off by Raleigh at end of the 1994 season. It would be interesting to know what the German name was, but I guess the name decal was removed (or never applied) when it was sold in the UK.

Apparently ZEG sold other Raleighs around the same time, see this page of the Dynatech Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91636&start=728

raleigh

nice info that which makes perfect sense why its been hard to id this, looking at the frame its defo a 1993 or later as it has the 'shot in seat stays'. is it my eyes or maybe the light but the forks look pushed back a little in pic 1?

Back