1993/94 NTI Rock Lobster™ ..the poor mans Bontrager

Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
In the fall [Autumn] of 1994 I bought my first real MTB a second hand Blue NTI Rock Lobster complete with Bontrager forks.. which had been well spec’ed and used competitively by (Tom) I think,
the son of one of the main guys at Caratti in Bristol, I bought it via the leading free ad paper at the time “The Trade it” a regional weekly publication that sold just about everything, after a trip down the M5 to Bristol I duly collected it from a very nice pad in Downend and drove home with my 1st quality MTB.

During 1995 me and the Lobster attended many races around the midlands often whilst listening to such delights as the Red Necks and Cotton Eye Joe :facepalm:
One thing lead to another and I moved on to a Pace with Suspension, however just like a first real girlfriend you never forgot them and whilst I kept the Pace I wish I still had my Lobster. So fast forward 20+ years and I’m taking a trip down memory lane, only this time we’re going green …. Always thought Green was nicer of the two!

Like many other things in life, opportunity to reacquaint myself with an early NTI Rock Lobster came out of the blue when Sinnerman outted this early example on ebay
Made even more attractive with a modest starting price and with little interested it went a lot cheaper than I expected…. Perhaps the colour had something to do with it !

After collecting parts for it over the past 18 months, I'm getting close to sending it for some new paint.

Here's a few pics saved from ebay listing - feast your eyes on the as described in the ebay listing. "Truly awesome/unique paint work" :facepalm:
now I know my ARC has a lot of 3DV but FFS what was he thinking shelling out god iron on PINK :shock:

**Edited for THM as here in the UK the 3rd season of the year is Autumn and NOT "the Fall" :LOL:

Attachments

• rock 3.jpg
    rock 3.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 4,444
  • rock 2.jpg
    rock 2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 4,443
  • rock 1.jpg
    rock 1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 4,443
Re:

Are you speccing to what yours was bitd or differently mate?.......and theres nothing wrong with a bit of pink as it'll go with your long smooth legs :xmas-wink:

Re: Re:

player":2quy088s said:
Are you speccing to what yours was bitd or differently mate?.......and theres nothing wrong with a bit of pink as it'll go with your long smooth legs :xmas-wink:

Green on this one, since it wasn't a standard catalogue spec it was a bit of mish mash

from memory it had 7 speed grip shift, with an XT m735 rear and a Shimano 600 front road hub, however these might have been slung on it just prior to moving on/me buying it, although the rims matched and the hubs were a great package and matched the skinny tubing.
XT 737 Mechs, Sugino cranks, Black Salsa stem and Blue USE seatpost and bars which were (in hindsight) way too narrow with the built in bar ends. as the Dia Compe versa PC8's that had to angled slightly up and down to avoid them touching :shock:

from what I can remember the whole set up made for a very light bike..

xerxes":385a1gxd said:
That's not pink, it's purple, mauve at worst.

that's exactly what I tell those dumb arses when they tell me 3DV anno is pink :shock:

as for the paint on this one... what ever colour it is, it's still shite

Re:

It's in good condition though. It's Sod's law that if you like the colour the paint will be chipped and tatty and if you don't, it'll be absolutely fine. :roll:

xerxes":20r8nzjd said:

It's in good condition though. It's Sod's law that if you like the colour the paint will be chipped and tatty and if you don't, it'll be absolutely fine. :roll:

Correct on that one.......

Have you got a photo of your original Rock Lobster Nick?

Re: My trip down memory lane… NTI Rock Lobster

love it. takes me back

Re:

I'm looking at a bike that colour now, as it goes. Don't mind it at all, Nick

FD

Mike Muz 67":lsncweyv said:
I'm looking at a bike that colour now, as it goes. Don't mind it at all, Nick

FD

Hey Fido Dido

Maybe I've unwittingly embraced grumpy middle age as I've advanced in years and somehow my minds narrowed as those numbers on birthday cards get bigger.

Its going Green or its ain't getting built...

Back