Kona Fire Mountain Splatter paint (yes another)

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Back in October this year I had a nice looking blue splatter Kona offered to me for £100 I though well it's not to bad and took a punt not really knowing much about the bike or what it was worth. I did the obligatory search and wasn't surprised to find a couple here on RB Alonestare's (Kona Fanatic ;) )http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=167261 & Splatter Paint's http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105671

After seeing their builds and seeing what mine was put together with they were fields apart. I didn't want to spend a fortune on it as I'd found out £100 is probably more than enough for what I had bought, but I did now what it more period. Having a ratch around in the spare parts I pulled out a set of brake levers, front and rear mechs and a chainset all LX M550 perfect period, also added to the bundle was a NOS Tange headset, XT pedals, ITM bar & stem combo. Happy days I was 3/4 of the way there.

As you do I stripped down the bike and gave it a good clean and purchased some M550 cantis for the front. Having got it all together I put the wheels (which came with the bike) back on and was a little disappointed
1: they were DX hubs
2: they had odd rims

Things like this don't sit well with me. I contemplated getting some hubs and a matching rim and rebuild them until I came across a very nice set on eBay M550 hubs and anodised Alesa rims absolutely perfect it finishes the build off very nicely.

Anyhow hope you like it here's the pic's

Before :

Attachments

• Fire M original state.jpg
    Fire M original state.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1,233
  • FM cockpit.jpg
    FM cockpit.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,232
  • FM headset original.jpg
    FM headset original.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,232
  • FM original.jpg
    FM original.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,232
  • FM original 1.jpg
    FM original 1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • FM original CS.jpg
    FM original CS.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,232
  • FM original wheels .jpg
    FM original wheels .jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,232
  • FM original wheels 2.jpg
    FM original wheels 2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,232
After Pic's: Well when the stupid server can work out the size of the files I can upload them without making them the size of a micro dot :facepalm:

Try again shall we :roll:

Attachments

• FM refurb.jpg
    FM refurb.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 1,222
  • FM cockpit refurb.jpg
    FM cockpit refurb.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 1,222
  • FM refurb 2.jpg
    FM refurb 2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • FM refurb 3 Rolls.jpg
    FM refurb 3 Rolls.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,221
  • FM refurb M550.jpg
    FM refurb M550.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,221
  • FM refurb wheels.jpg
    FM refurb wheels.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • FM Tange headset.jpg
    FM Tange headset.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,221
  • RM ITM stem and bars.jpg
    RM ITM stem and bars.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,222
came out sweet.... with a U brake on the back what year is that 1989 or 1990

I bought a 1990 TBG Cindercone a while back and have to say I REALLY like it, mines got canti on the rear, I know mines a different model but would have through they'd have been the same basic spec or were U Brakes perceived to be more up market at the time.

Anyway have you been out on it yet ? :D

Attachments

• Kona cindercone.jpg
    Kona cindercone.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 1,207
Cheers Spud from what I can make out of the frame number I think it's a 1990
can't make out the first digit looks like a 1 so 19023657 maybe ?

just visited the Archive section and they're both 1990.

Attachments

• kona 1990.jpg
    kona 1990.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1,184
Re: Re:

jimo746":2hwvwbjt said:
Nice! I like that.
What tyres are those?

Cheers Jimo the tyres are Cheng Shin Mountain bike 1.75 not all that but they came with the bike when I got it.

Re:

I assume they used some older spec frames for thebase model in 1990, hence the U-brake.
Or it could be that as the only Shimano equipped bike in the range for 1990 they realised how wide profile the cantis were compared to Suntours offerings at the time?
I must get my 1990 CinderCone built.

Very nice.

The colour looks a lot sharper out in the daylight. Might of just motivated me to finish my splatter Kona :D

Back