1997 Specialized S-works M2

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
The new one to my ever growing collection, Was trawling through ebay and stumbled upon this beast, I only got it last night in the rain and am working away so no time to play.

I am not a Specialized expert but am sure someone knows the exact date and spec on this.

It has XTR V Brakes and rear mech M950
XT 8sp shifters, front mech , rear hub and levers
Mavic 217 SUP sunset rims :cool: with snowflake lacing on front :?
S-Works chainset and front hub

I dont think the forks are original but would like to add corret era suspension in the very near future, SID's I would guess.

I will spend time doing the retro service and vallet whilst in the mess of a garage of bikes and bits :LOL:

Let me know your thoughts or if you have one !

Cheers :cool:

I cant wait to get working on it, I will post some pics when the nasty bits such as saddle , snowflake spokes, Spoke protector and bars have been replaced.

obviously looking forward to riding it too :LOL:

I'd be interested to know the beginning of the frame number, as I'm trying to ID mine at the mo. Current consensus is that it's a 98 s-works.

Can see the potential in yours, I love projects like that, will look forward to seeing it progress.

Ben

Hi,

I thought 1998 Specialized were 80mm travel corrected with a slightly steeper and more aggressive head angle, easy to recognise due to the more squared off lower head tube gusset and cable boss placement.

To be honest that looks like a 1996/1997 frame?, and Sid's are a little too long on it, unless fitted with a Judy SL crown.

I may be wrong?, though I have owned a few Stumpy's, could have my years mixed up?

This was my 17" 1998 Stumpy running 80mm SID's and the angles were a lot steeper than those in the pic posted. I am sure the 1998 S-Works was metallic gold, and Stumpy's were metallic green for the comp and metallic blue for the pro? I don't remember Specialized ever releasing the S-works in teh same colour as a lower model at that time?

Previous to this I had an 18" 96/97 which ran 63mm Judy's which looked identical to yours apart from colour.

Picture918-1.jpg

S Works

Hi guys
Lovely S works.
This is a 97 judging by the colours. Dew green, the M2 S Works came in either mango or dew green, while the M2 Team S Works came in either red or dew green. Could confirm with the frame numbers easily enough.
These came with manitou sx ti forks and a mix of xtr/xt.
Ride and enjoy.

Jamie

Sorry for any confusion, when I said about general consensus being a 98, I meant mine....but I meant to say 97 anyway :LOL: :oops:

Glad you popped up here Jamie.
Just fitted a new headset to mine and the original paint inside was red.
According to your thinking, you reckon that could mean mine is actually an S-Works Team?

Sorry, no thread hijack intended! It's related...honest ;)

Ben

Thanks for you comments and info chaps, I will be getting my hands dirty at the weekend so will post some more pics etc.

The Frame does have a decal saying "Race only not for resale" on the down tube under the laquer. Not sure if this has any relevance........ but I like it :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers

Some More pics, Have added SID forks & King headset in rasta colours which I think works well, the red and gold are similar to the sunset rims and green and black is pretty obvious :LOL:

Have fitted Magura's as the XTR V's were driving me mad :evil: , Im not sure what you guys will think of having thumbies on this era of bike but I wanted to keep it 8 speed and I went this route for reliabilty and sheer hell of it :LOL:

Attachments

• Sept 08 007.jpg
    Sept 08 007.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 7,218
  • Sept 08 010.jpg
    Sept 08 010.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7,216
  • Sept 08 008.jpg
    Sept 08 008.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 7,218
  • Sept 08 004.jpg
    Sept 08 004.jpg