OCLV (95) "Recaliber" project

dan66

Dirt Disciple
I auctioned an old OCLV frame on eBay.
Originally it is the violet Trek 9800 repainted to blue.
In the beginning it was just about replacing of another (CrMo) frame that was short to me.
I wanted to use complete Shimano LX groupset in gray from 1996, wheels with Mavic 217 rims, gray LX hubs and DT Swiss wires.

But I'm thinking about another variant.
Because I have some modern carbon components (Ritchey WCS fork, handlebars, stem, seatpost in carbon) and I just bought Sh. SLX groupset 2x10 2013 (surprisely light - only 2,38kg incl. chain).
I also have Mavic Crosroc UST wheels (1,95kg both) and now I can buy cheaply Ritchey Speed Max Beta WCS 120TPI 26/2.00'' tyres (535g).
New: I bought Rithcey Speedmax Beta Pro (470g).
Other parts to use - Avid 2.0 Digit brakes with Tektro carbon levers, ESI grips and Fi'zi:k Tundra 2 Magnese saddle, because my ass says it... :).
New: I bought an IKE saddle with a central tunnel, looking retro, but it's heavy.
I would like to build it like mix of old OCLV frame and these new components like "fullcarbon" rigid bike.

The color will stay for now - reminds the colors used by Gary Fisher on Supercaliber and Procaliber.
It will only be called Recaliber because it is recycled :).

It's never going to be a bike to ride in a rough terrain. Just such a light cruiser across the town, woods and gravel tracks for pleasure.

I'm looking for Tioga Master DL2 1/1,8'' headset which has a wider lower bowl - to fit the wider fork head.
New: Bought Ritchey Scuzzy Logic (156g). I'm waiting for FSA Orbit XL II (101g).

New: Seatpost Ritchey Superlogic Carbon exchanged for Ritchey WCS Carbon to match the set.
Still waiting for R. WCS Carbon stem

On the picture it is just so dullly assembled with a freely inserted fork (otherwise the angles are ok), another seatpost, wheels, stem used just for now - to take a look and the pic. Just to see what it will looks like...
New pictures added

Attachments

• IMG_0809c.jpg
    IMG_0809c.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 844
  • IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 844
Re:

Like your frame. But your avatar pic is stupid.

Maybe if you changed it for a picture of a nice bike you would get more replies ...

I do not understand...
This forum is about bikes.
This is not a school of political correctness or multi-culti lifestyle.
Kamikaze lifestyle is not yet prohibited ... as far as I know :)
We are the Hussites nation, the cradle of the Reformation. We're all Svejk's. So we probably have it a little different in our minds.
But in one you are right. The frame did nothing wrong.
I'm soo sorry if I've touched your feelings.

Re: Re:

doctor-bond":sq512ice said:
Like your frame. But your avatar pic is stupid.

Maybe if you changed it for a picture of a nice bike you would get more replies ...

Dude back off

the two are not connected, without wishing to start a proxy tit for tat ping pong match your avatar is nothing to write home about.

Surely its all about the content of the post itself ?

We are not all from Yorkshire.. Or even from these shores.

dan66":htt60rvr said:
I do not understand...

Yes, which is why a picture of someone getting their brains shot out seems inappropriate.

Retro Spud":htt60rvr said:
Dude back off... the two are not connected ...

Maybe you're right, but the avatar is still stupid. (And I seem to be the only one that likes the bike.)

Here someone is bored...
...long winter evenings obviously :).
Stop that flame, please. I'm not going to change avatar for you.
Just looking for the wider headset and dealing with front gears and graphics now.
I will not waste time on marginals and I will not spoil the joy of building a new bike.
Howgh.

Okay I accept we all have different opinions and a right to express them,
can we stop the thread hijack and keep on topic.

The opening post is a starting point, rather than the end result

I'm looking forward to seeing where this one goes.

Re:

Thanks Retro Spud for reasonable entry into the discussion.

I'm worried about the chainrings. Converters are 38 and 24 teeth. If I want 40 teeth on bigger plate, I will probably have to replace both and use at least 26 (28?) teeth to the smaller one.
These frames were extremely sensitive to damage of the fallen chain rolling...

Another problem is the headset - looking for vintage 1 1/8 Tioga Master DL2, or something similar. Maybe Tioga Alchemy SRR?
I can not find anything with this shape and the diameter of the bottom bowl.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 1,159
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,159
dan66":1dckbvhv said:
I do not understand...
This is not a school of political correctness or multi-culti lifestyle.
Kamikaze lifestyle is not yet prohibited ... as far as I know :)
We are the Hussites nation, the cradle of the Reformation. We're all Svejk's. So we probably have it a little different in our minds.
But in one you are right. The frame did nothing wrong.
I'm soo sorry if I've touched your feelings.

I love you!

Back