Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:45 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:49 am 
Retro Guru

GrahamJohnWallace wrote:
Retro Spud wrote:
They just don't look racey... and more akin to an off road version of a Dutch town bike to plod around the woods on

Hi Spud, I know exactly what you mean and trying to explain to a 'Mountain Biker' that a Cleland also a good design is like tying to convince a fan of rally cars that a series one Land Rover is also cool in its own way.

^That's all the questions I would've asked, and all the answers to them, in 2 short sentences :)

The first time I saw (a picture of) a Cleland, I thought it was unbelievably daft, an almost intentionally-eccentric, anachronistic design that could never have caught on. What made me appreciate them for what they were, was a short passage (can't remember where from) which drew a line between the US-based 'ATBs' which were designed to be ridden anywhere including on-road, and the Clelands which were designed to only be ridden off-road. Not to mention the fact that a pure UK-bred design wouldn't really need to cater for long, fast downhills...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:34 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Koupe wrote:
GrahamJohnWallace wrote:
Retro Spud wrote:
They just don't look racey... and more akin to an off road version of a Dutch town bike to plod around the woods on

Hi Spud, I know exactly what you mean and trying to explain to a 'Mountain Biker' that a Cleland also a good design is like tying to convince a fan of rally cars that a series one Land Rover is also cool in its own way.

^That's all the questions I would've asked, and all the answers to them, in 2 short sentences :)

The first time I saw (a picture of) a Cleland, I thought it was unbelievably daft, an almost intentionally-eccentric, anachronistic design that could never have caught on. What made me appreciate them for what they were, was a short passage (can't remember where from) which drew a line between the US-based 'ATBs' which were designed to be ridden anywhere including on-road, and the Clelands which were designed to only be ridden off-road. Not to mention the fact that a pure UK-bred design wouldn't really need to cater for long, fast downhills...

They don't look racey, but is that the only measure of a bicycle?

Mine isn't that bad on the road, obviously a sit up position, tyre size & pressures come into it but it is what it is, a sit up & beg steel bike.
It's funny with bicycles (you see the same thing with motorbikes), people like sports replica bikes even when it's really not that suitable for their needs & often doesn't suit their riding style but it's what they want to be seen on &/or fashionable.

I've now altered the rear brake to a sliding cam & also changed the Suntour 5 speed freewheel for a cheapy Shimano 7 speed, in doing so I've lost the 34 tooth cog (that was 18 :shock: gear inches!). So now a lowest tooth count of 28 but it's still super low with a 22 granny giving 22 gear inches. It neccessatated swapping some spacers to move the hub across sightly & dishing the wheel a bit but I now have 7 indexed gears (Shimano Delore thumb shifters) & hopefully shifting will be a bit nicer now with closer gears & Hyperglide.

The old freewheel will be mothballed & can be put back on should I decided to attempt an ascent of Snowdon.

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

While making the rear brake a sliding cam I tried to cold bend the rear brake arm, at first I thought only the paint had cracked but the metal had actually fractured. :evil:
So here is the replacement I've made complete with go faster lightweight holes. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7