Pace Progress.

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
You may remember a few months ago now I finally managed to get my self a pace.

I had wanted one since the age of 13, after visiting the Kirby moorside factory with my forks in order to get a new steerer fitted.

Now many years later I finally have myself a Pace bike, an RC100 to be exact....sadly at 20" its too big for me...but any way...

When the bike arrived it looked like the previous owner (a fireman) had found a tin of fire engine red going spare and decided to use it on the frame.
P1000495.jpg

The bike as I aquired it

Well a few months have past, and work has begun, I sent the frame off to be stripped of paint & pollished up. Before I did this though, I needed to remove the old bullseye cranks. The last owner had them welded up as they kept working loose. A delicate attack of an angle grinder at a local garage took away the weld, and as little of the crank as possible.

In the mean time I purchased some very nice condition (look NOS to be honest) replacements for the cranks off this site..Just incase the originals took too much damage while removing them.

P1000769.jpg

The freshly stripped frame

P1000770.jpg

The original bullseyes (left) after angle grinding...still usable. and the replacement Bullseyes (right) Cheers Andy!

Well, I got bored this weekend so decided to rig the pace up in a make shift single speed city bike sort of fashion. Only one break hooked up as I had to disconnect the rear magura hose when I took the frame for stripping.

I decided to use the old cranks...no point wrecking the new ones just yet, and used an old LX rear mech as a make shift tensioner.

I was suprised just how comfortable the frame size was, it seems very suited to a role of commuter for me, I wouldnt feel too comfortable on it off road though.

P1000868.jpg

P1000865.jpg

P1000870.jpg

(the wheels were temporary, I just propped it up on those while I sourced some narrow tubes for my 1.25" city slickers, I then returned the frame to its 2nd wheelset (pace carbon front/Hope ti rear)

OK so frame is done..bar decals...

Next on the list I have:
Respray the maguras
Clean up the two wheelsets (Pace/Hope & pace/pace)
Machine a new spacer for the Pace rear hub
Build it up with gears again....then decide what to do with it...

If any one does have a smaller RC100 out there, and needs a larger frame, I am still keen on a swap (I normally ride around 17" frames)

Good work fellah :cool: great to see some good resto efforts

Looking very nice mate, making faster progress than me mate as mines still in bits. Have you stripped the Magura's for spraying? as this is my next job.

Look forward to the updates

Matt

Not fully, I have stripped the mounts, but not made a start on the pistons/levers yet... tis on my list of things to do.

I was thinking about taking them to the place that stripped the frame for me. I would do it my self but I live in a rented appartment with a wooden floor and no out door space. I really dont fancy risking the wooden floor with nitromors etc.

The biggest bit left to do is to machine the spacer for the rear axle of the pace rear hub. Should be easy, I just need to get access to the machine shop after work at some point.

Also need to start the hunt for decals.

I was resigned to the idea of selling this to fund a smaller one..however It was so much fun at the weekend...and it does look pretty built up...im back in two minds over it...

I take it you know about the decals Andy and Gil are working on.

Been a little scared about striping my brakes down, they are in a right state (the original owner filled them with car fluid) wondering if I am best just searching for a better set.

hmm, I would give it a go stripping it down, they may be useable, check the seals etc are still functional.

If you do need new ones, keep your eye open on the bay for old saracens, some of them came with hydrostops. alternatively HS11 callipers are pretty much identical I think.

the previous owner supplied me with all the spares he had for the bike, whcih included a whole world of spare pads & a magura service kit.. so I'm happy the brakes on mine have been suitably maintained.

JeRkY":2unt2c8y said:
If you do need new ones, keep your eye open on the bay for old saracens, some of them came with hydrostops.

The 1991 Traverse Competition Hydrotech, Kili Flyer and Conquest all had HS-11 Magura's on....these were all e-stay models....dunno if that helps as they don't pop up on eBay very often :cry:

neilll":2z4urbix said:
JeRkY":2z4urbix said:
If you do need new ones, keep your eye open on the bay for old saracens, some of them came with hydrostops.

The 1991 Traverse Competition Hydrotech, Kili Flyer and Conquest all had HS-11 Magura's on....these were all e-stay models....dunno if that helps as they don't pop up on eBay very often :cry:

The HS-11's with resin levers that snap at the pivot point and slam your Trekker Hydrotech Comp into the back of a Vauxhall Cav at 30mph :oops:

Nice progress

StevePSD":ni7gaytb said:
The HS-11's with resin levers that snap at the pivot point and slam your Trekker Hydrotech Comp into the back of a Vauxhall Cav at 30mph :oops:

Mine are still going strong after 17 years....now on my Pace :)

p.s Any chance of the Saracen catalogue scan you mentioned a while back? ;) ;)

Latest posts

Back