Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I have always been a fan of Kona's.

And after another Kona came up for sale that was too big and then making enquires with the seller about another one of his frames, i was offered this frameset, which i couldnt say no to :D

I have a few frames waiting to be built, but this one has seemed to jump the queue. :LOL:

It could be a slow build but here are some pics for now

Mark P1011220 (Medium).JPG P1011201 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Re: 1990 Kona Explosif - build

some more... P1011207 (Medium).JPG P1011217 (Medium).JPG P1011216 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
I so wanted one of those BITD. Instead, I had to settle for a Lavadome as I simply couldn't justify the cost of the Explosif. On the brightside, I did get one of the plain white limited edition ones rather than the splatter finish. However, having now seen this I'm beginning to have regrets...

Thanks for the comments :D

As for rims and components, thats coming soon...

The good thing about splatter paint is it hides any imperfections well ;) While on the subject of paint, credit has to go to Chris (spanky22b) and its only fair as he does an amazing job of splating, and he has done a very good job on the forks, he also, for those who missed his post, decided to splat the stem, which is shown below and matches the f+f very well :D

Still not decided if im using this stem but have got some new bolts for the clamp and newer wedge. It will find its way onto the bike eventually but if i find some P2's i will use a different stem for now :)

Mark P1011229 (Medium).JPG P1011227 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
I have been trying to decide on the which component group to use. It is going to be either XT or XC Pro.

The deciding factor for now is the wheels! i have a couple of sets of XT built and my XC Pro need new rims so im going the quick/easy/cheaper route :)

Ideally i would have gone for black XT hubs and cranks, if anyone has any they want to sell please PM me :) i am after a rear 732 135mm and 175 arms please.

For now, and it might actually look better when together, im going with silver hubs and crank, just because i have them :)

Also undecided on which brakeset to use! 732 or 734? P1011245 (Medium).JPG P1011242 (Medium).JPG P1011231 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Yes, probably will be the 732 and 7spd. I was just thinking of maybe going 8spd then i would have used the 734.

I am using mostly used parts, in good condition, but not all nos as i intend to ride it, i have nos parts i cant even bring myself to use so if i did i would more than likely not want to ride it 🤦 P1011243 (Medium).JPG P1011259 (Medium).JPG P1011239 (Medium).JPG P1011262 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back