EWR detail

utahdog2003

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
In my original post about my Original Woods, I talked a bit about the little Fresh Frame detail which is part of the original paint on the bike, and one of the reasons I'm reluctant to refinish the old girl. Or maybe that was a conversation on MTBR-VRC?! Well either way its a neat little sucker, so, here's a pic! :cool:

And one of the bike to remind folks after almost a year what the heck I'm talking about! :D

Attachments

• ff-logo.JPG
    ff-logo.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,280
  • IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 1,280
you never said why you had horizontal drop outs and a chain tensioner at the same time ?

The drops just aren't quite deep enough to be true horizontal drops, first off. Second, even with bolt on hubs and a Tugnut (which needed a bit of modifying to fit the drops), the hub shifts side to side enough to cause the chain to chatter. Third, I like the 32-16, and while I can probably find the sweet spot from a tension perspective, and not need a tensioner even if I could keep the hub from wandering and get past the shallow drop issue (you can't get the wheel off without pulling the crank or breaking the chain) and finally...

I'm a lazy bastard! :D I'm sure there's a solution to this collection of minor glitches, but at the end of the day, they are minor glitches. The bike runs so smooth with the tensioner that I just don't feel the pressure to change it.

Chiefly though...the shallow drop is the issue..a rear facing shallow drop prevents the loosened hub from being slid forward enough to derail the chain, or the rear wheel from clearing the rear of the dropout to be removed from the bike. One flat and subsequent drivetrain dismemberment and you'll want a tensioner and a longer chain. :cool:

Do you really want to know? :oops: :cool:

It's made of straight guage 4130, no butting. I'd guess in excess of 5 pounds... :shock: :D

You won't break it though! :LOL: Remember that these things preceded Metalheads and Instigastors and other such crap by years, so they were really intended as a multi-use frame. Cross country for a few tens of miles and then some trials at the trailhead.

In all honesty, I never feel the weight. Seriously. And I sold a Klein Rascal to buy the thing back in the day! Bike gained maybe 3 lbs overnight! :D

Back