A pretty "Epic Deal" on a dream bike from BiTD

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I started mountain biking as a 12yo in '89 ... converted my Norco Mountaineer SL to a (narrow) flat bar. Road it until the rims were butter from so much truing. At that point I had saved up enough to buy a 1991 Stumpy from Cycle Logic ... year old stock.

They had a few of these in the rich kid section :) Way outta my $650 budget of course.

I think the mtb gods paid me back :LOL: Obviously the seller didn't really know what it was by the price and the packing.

1992 Specialized Epic

It will be a straight rider. Built right, but not something I need to be shy with.

What a bargain, I'd love one of these but fear I'd need a lot of money or be very lucky like you ;) Look forward to seeing I come back to life.

Re:

I'd feel guilty if I was gonna just flip it. Such a good score and I was so lucky the guy would pop it in the mail for me.

I hope the fit is ok. It was suppose to be 20" but it's really 18". Should be ok with some suspension up front and a 140mm stem ... I hope.

Going XTR and blackout/titanium on the parts.

Re:

They are cool. I hear they ride really well. I've ridden just about every higher end bike that Spesh has made outside an Ultimate and one of these. I'd go $40 on an ultimate ;)

Re:

To be precise, that's a S-Works Carbon, not Epic anymore by name and it has steel lugs, not titanium so it's not an Ultimate.

Still an awesome, although a heavy frame. That was one of my first holy grails some 12 years ago when I started collecting retrobikes.
You can find my scans of MBAction magazine's test of that particular bike.

I built mine with XTR M900, Spesh ti parts, FSX Carbon/Ti fork and grey Umma Gumma tyres. It rode very nicely. :)
Eventually I sold the it to Void(EN12-82) here on Forum who still has the frame.

Re:

I think I've seen pics of that one. Looked pretty. This ones a bit more loved so it won't get the finest selection mint and NOS of parts.

Re:

I'd like to get hold of a '92 one day...

Here is my '91 version!

Attachments

• Epic.jpg
    Epic.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 3,695
Back