Marin Team Issue 92

Akula

Old School Hero
Here's the start, its a 93, but plan to use the 94 colour scheme (nope its a 92 as pointed out below). it looks nasty, but a few minutes with a rotary wire brush and suprisingly its improved a lot. I found a local place who can nickel plate frames, but price is dependant on state of the frame. So current plan is clean it up as much as possible, see what state its really in after the laquer and rust is gone and get a quote at that time. if price is too high or frame looks ok, just new logos and move along.

I've got a 95 era Palisades i will steal some parts from (forks which are slightly heavier than the team forks, seat post again heavier and stem - however 95 stems dont have the roller pull for front brake. The rest will be XTR or XT group set dependant on what i can lay my hands on, lastly find some wheels and handlebars.

Attachments

• team 6.jpg
    team 6.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,556
  • team 5.jpg
    team 5.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,555
  • team 4.jpg
    team 4.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,555
  • team3.jpg
    team3.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,555
  • team 2.jpg
    team 2.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,556
  • team 1.jpg
    team 1.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 1,556
Re:

I've been looking at so many version of this recently I've gone snow blind , you are correct. Interestingly, I see that the 92 has the 750g forks, which is what I'm getting from me donor bike, so maybe I should just go with 92 . But purple is so nice

Re: Marin Team Issue 93 / 94

There's a blue Marin Lite stem with roller on eBay right now, check its the right diameter but repainted black with new decals and it'd be perfect :)

Finally found it, strangely Marin stem didn't pick it up. Anyway it's now mine, so that's part of shopping list ticked off.

Attacked frame with rotary wire brush and got rid of the loose rust. Frames in pretty good nick but there's major chips in the plating on top tube and down tube, so I'm going to get some quotes on replating.

Also now grown attached to the 92 Colour scheme , so probably going down that route. Plus he Wife likes purple and she's likely to steal it from me if I go for 93 colours.

Bye v jealous of your bars, not sure I want to buy a whole bike tho

Akula":3m6dwf5s said:
Finally found it, strangely Marin stem didn't pick it up. Anyway it's now mine, so that's part of shopping list ticked off.

Attacked frame with rotary wire brush and got rid of the loose rust. Frames in pretty good nick but there's major chips in the plating on top tube and down tube, so I'm going to get some quotes on replating.

Also now grown attached to the 92 Colour scheme , so probably going down that route. Plus he Wife likes purple and she's likely to steal it from me if I go for 93 colours.

Bye v jealous of your bars, not sure I want to buy a whole bike tho

Glad you got the stem and that your planning on going down the 92 route, simple looks and classy :) Its not hard to build these to near catalogue spec, okay I had an XT rear hub and a Flite saddle, tyres and grips weren't quite right but the rest is simple.

The bars come up quite often on eBay but why not bung a wanted post up on here plus the Facebook retro bike part sale/wanted pages?

Noticed during the clean up what looked like weld repair at the seat post mount. Just spotted that I now need a seat post clamp as the bosses have been ground off ( or broken)

Back