1997 Rocky Mountain Vertex LE build

syncrosfan

Senior Retro Guru
Just finished this build last weekend. It's a small frame for my mother-in-law. Got the frame super cheap on evil bay, paint was more or less destroyed so I stripped the frame and repainted it white. Most of the components I had lying about so I went through my extensive Syncros stash to put some proper Canadian parts to the build. The rest is straight forward XTR M950. Nothing too flashy but it does the job (white frame, black components, blue accents).
Here's the components breakdown:
Frame: 1997 Rocky Mountain Vertex LE (original color was white and metallic blue same graphics as the TO frames just different colors) size small
Fork: Manitou Mars CL (with black C lowers)
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Syncros 100mm
Bars: Syncros Titanium
Shifters: XTR M950
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
Grips: modern Syncros comfort grips
Cables and housing: XTR grey
Front Derailleur: XTR M950
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Titanium
Cranks and Chain-rings: Syncros forged
Casette: XT 8-speed 11-30
Chain: XT 8-speed
Rear Derailleur: XTR M950
Brakes: Avis Speed Dial 7
Wheels: XTR M950 hubs, DT Revo spokes, black alloy nipples, Mavic XR 3.1 tubeless rims (but with inner tubes setup)
Tires: Kenda Klimax 1.95
Seatpost: Syncros 26.8
Seat: Terry Butterfly
Bolts: mostly titanium
Weight: 21.2 lbs (pretty light bike, could be lighter with a lighter wheelset, the Mavic XR rims are pretty heavy).
Mother-in-law used to ride an old Specialized low-end fully that was probably pushing 40lbs. Riding a properly light bike was quite a revelation to her. Why do women have such trouble understanding the shifters? Too many gears? I had to keep on reminding her: You have gears! Use them! No need to punish yourself in a too high gear going uphill...
Anyway here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0646b.jpg
    IMG_0646b.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_0653b.jpg
    IMG_0653b.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_0647c.jpg
    IMG_0647c.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_0649c.jpg
    IMG_0649c.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_0658b.jpg
    IMG_0658b.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_0657c.jpg
    IMG_0657c.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 1,130
Thanks guys! Tried not to go overboard kind of a low key build. Originally I was planning on using some Machine Tech V-brakes and levers but upon attempting to install them I got annoyed with the faffy setup of the spring balance on them and went to trusty old Avids instead. (the Machine Tech brakes do look cooler though...)

Mice, i bet she loves that after her previous bike. :cool:

Indeed she does! Imagine going overnight to a bike that's literally almost half the weight and everything on it works like new. Drive-train is all NOS. I also made the high front end with a tower of spacers (a look which I usually hate but in this case comfort rules over the look and older people tend to prefer a more upright seating position, heck even I prefer a more upright seating position in most cases...) A good women's saddle and ergo grips help too.

V nice. I'm pretty sure that this type of thing would sell rather well if retailers weren't so obsessed on cheap imported disc set ups. Just the type of thing my daughter's looking for but I now she wouldn't look after it!

Back