Frontiera - Deore Dx

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
This is gonna be another one of my slow builds.

Picked this up from Crantinope when I saw it offered up in someone elses wanted ad as a frameset, we've all seen it and we've all liked it and I couldn't resist it.

IMG_20170731_205839.jpg

so where am I going with it? well.... the paint to me is tired and Patina is not for everyone. new decals are on order from H lloyd cycles :shock: .... I know I know dont lynch me but its clearcoat is so crackle glazed that I feel it deserves a new look. I know everyone loves fades but I'm more of a solid colour chap, just gotta get it right! so as for colour choice we'll have to see.

Not a lot is known about these bikes apart from they were the inhouse brand of Border cycles and were all hand built fillet brazed in the UK probably by one of the more well known builders, one suggestion was TWG, the Tushingham lot? I dont know to be honest but I do have the stem that came with it and that is definately an orange stalk, shame is that its destined for another more fitting project. lets hope I can do this justice.

IMG_20170731_205952.jpg

IMG_20170731_205933.jpg

IMG_20170731_205914.jpg

Re:

I like the crackle glaze look.
You'd pay a fortune to tile your kitchen in something similar!
I'm sure you'll do as good a job as the Yates, but personally I'd have to keep the fades.

Re:

There are some frames that really need a re-spray, this is definitely not one of them! Seems a real shame to lose that originality if you ask me :( .

Re: My Next British Build - Frontiera

Before I sold my fronteria I popped into Bruces Bikes in Kendal and he was telling me about them being made in Lancaster by an Alan Yates :?:

Re:

If you think that has patina you should see my car! I'd leave that paint on for another 20 years yet. Lovely frame though, some real nice touches on it. Do whatever it takes to enjoy it.

Re: My Next British Build - Frontiera

retrobikeguy":1cbolipa said:
This is gonna be another one of my slow builds.

Picked this up from Crantinope when I saw it offered up in someone elses wanted ad as a frameset, we've all seen it and we've all liked it and I couldn't resist it.

IMG_20170731_205839.jpg

so where am I going with it? well.... the paint to me is tired and Patina is not for everyone. new decals are on order from H lloyd cycles :shock: .... I know I know dont lynch me but its clearcoat is so crackle glazed that I feel it deserves a new look. I know everyone loves fades but I'm more of a solid colour chap, just gotta get it right! so as for colour choice we'll have to see.

Not a lot is known about these bikes apart from they were the inhouse brand of Border cycles and were all hand built fillet brazed in the UK probably by one of the more well known builders, one suggestion was TWG, the Tushingham lot? I dont know to be honest but I do have the stem that came with it and that is definately an orange stalk, shame is that its destined for another more fitting project. lets hope I can do this justice.

IMG_20170731_205952.jpg

IMG_20170731_205933.jpg

IMG_20170731_205914.jpg

This is Cool.

And i love that moment with new paint. And i Love that you can because its a hand built frame made to order just like the paint. No two are the Same (or its Rare, if you like the Orange Team colours for example< or even a Salsa esque job Like Overburys.. ;) )

I dont see why it cant be refinished. But its certainly in lovely condition, and Of its time.

Id even go as far to say it was a statement paint job, a little like the Klein Attitude in Team colours. Only this Is Handbuilt Steel forged in the fires of Britain. At a time when image was As important as the quality.

It wouldnt be cheap to do it now like it. Spec it up and Spend the coin on that instead.

Im always trying to think of Themes for paint thats of its time, and rarely get it right.

Sorry just me thinking aloud.

Re: Re:

kermitgreenkona88":24swgtsw said:
T'is yours do as you wish, if others wanted to keep it as it THEY should have bought it.....

Agreed. :cool:

Back