What would you do to this Rockhopper? Update 16-12-09

mart77

Retro Newbie
After looking through this site I am now tempted to rebuild my specialized.

This bike was brought very early 90's from a friend of mine. Most of the bike is original, gears, chain etc etc.

Now I'm asking for your advice.

I want to keep spending to a minimum. Here are a couple of options that I am considering.

1. Strip paint myself and respray in current colour scheme ( I do feel confident on spraying the frame)

2. Powercoat the frame white and add black decals.

Current rebuild plan:
1. Replace gearset with new Deore LX equipment
2. Replace stem, Saddle & seat stay.
2. Fit some retro Pace forks

Or: put the money towards a lightweight Kona rebuild?

Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers

:LOL:

Attachments

• small_rockhopper(4).JPG
    small_rockhopper(4).JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 2,877
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 2,877
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 2,877
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 2,877
If mine;

degrease and Muc-Off to see how its looking
remove bar ends
fit a lesser rise stem
fit a Flite or Vetta TT Trishock
lube the chain

and then ride it! :cool:

I quite like the paint :cool: Iwould be tempted to replace some of the components with period stuff rather than new lx,a flite, new barends, grips and brake levers. Also a flatter stem like a t bone would give a racier look and would go down the rock shox route instead of the pace. Good service and clean and if you've got money left a nice set of hoops to liven it up without changing the appearance too much. I think it would be important not too over bling it.

Save the bling and dosh for the Kona :)

I'm with the others,

New stem, maybe bouncy forks if that's what you want (in which case I'd go a-head), new saddle (but probably an old one, like a flite) then treat it to a bit of TLC and some new tyres.

A nice set of new spokes and rims might be in order (are those spokes non-stainless? look quite tired anyway).

Keep it simple and respect what it already is - should give you a nice ride. If the drivetrain isn't worn out then I'd not bother replacing - there's some nice kit on there.

Oh, and new cables will work wonders....

Si F

Keep the paint, keep it rigid. If it were mine I'd singlespeed it, change the stem and saddle, and give serious thought to V-brakes.

Back