1989 Saracen Tufftrax

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Went to an old mate's house down in Hampshire with the Missus at the weekend for dinner, and pulled this out of the shed on the Sunday morning.. He's had it since new and replaced broken parts along the way.. A classic bike and great deal for the time: Mountain LX, Deore Thumbies, Tange MTB frame :cool:

2752092059_4aaa0c0f41_o_d.jpg

2752926444_ea056f1210_d.jpg
2752926166_19cd4ff03b_d.jpg
2752091579_8d28857149_d.jpg

No, it's not for sale ;)

Oh man! I've been looking for one for ages. I had a 16 inch one back in the day with full XT and Tange Switchblades and absolutely loved it to bits. It was such a great little bike and I did thousands of miles touring on it. Thing is I can't remember getting rid of it, I remember stripping it down but cannot find the frame at dads anywhere.
I remember the paint was bombproof and never had so much as a mark on it.
If you ever decide to sell I'm your man!

Geoff":3rgn5559 said:
Sort that straddle cable out! :LOL:

Yeah I said the next time I was down I'd give it a good service for him. To be fair, I didn't want to do anything to it yesterday since he uses it quite a bit and hasn't let him down yet!

Wow freetime and a browse on the internet, I've just found this site:-
Yeah a cool bike, my second mountainbike was a Saracen Eiger SE 18" approximately the same vintage (bought used from a mate in 94) and in the same tough powder coated blue, complete with Deore DX groupset, I changed the heavy rapid fires for XT thumbies and SS5 brake levers, changed the heavy Saracen stem with a lighter alloy one (Zoom I think....old memory crashing) which was a slightly shorter length to fit me, 48 teeth chainwheel changed to a 46T (Shimano LX) and a dinky granny gear 24T? I think. It was nicked from my garage in the summer 1996, and replaced with a Kili Comp which i still have.
However there's something about how well the old Saracens ride, 5 yrs ago to give me something to take my mind off the b***h I was divorcing, I bought a frame off ebay for 99p......slowly it was built up as cheaply as possible using old bits I had and EBAY, to this day its been my hack for nipping to the shops or along the lanes around home....

will post a pic when I work out how to do it...

have fun stay safe
jon

Back