1995 kona lava dome. Plus a P7.

Stringerfabrication

Dirt Disciple
New member (although i thought I was registered previously?) with a new (to me) bike.

I've had various retro stuff over the years, last properly old one was a '93 orange clockwork I had a couple years back. Although these days my early 2000s jump bikes I still ride class as retro I guess!

Recently I've started riding more what would be classed as XC, for fitness reasons and just to get out and enjoy the countryside more. With none of my other bikes really suitable (24" wheeled, tiny framed single speed 5"+ travel hardtails) I went looking for something more suited. I wanted a steel frame, much prefer the ride over aluminium, and after looking at silly priced massively over-specced new stuff, I decided to go retro again.

I narrowed it down to basically a kona, orange or Marin, out of the stuff that was easily available. I found Marins to be a bit bland, nearly bought an orange prestige but even a 19" frame seemed on the small side, before happening across this 20" lava dome. I'd always lusted after a kona in my youth (I was 11/12 when these came out) so after doing some research and finding it was the same frame as cinder cone I was happy with it even though it was a bit low specced compared to others I was looking at. Just means I get to do some period upgrades!

The pics I bought it from-

Aside from the obvious V-brake upgrade to '98 stx-rc, it's largely stock. Only other deviations as the seat clamp, and some later model gripshift and grips, presumably to replace worn out bits. The bars are questionable as they're not race lights, and the commuter spec tyres are unsuited to even light gravel work. Best find some bits then!

:) welcome, and a nice condition bike you have there, can't go far wrong with a Kona. Keep us updated with the bikes progress

Mark

its a shame we can't see the pictures any more? Any updates?
I think that’s down to photobucket, although I can’t actually remember who I used to host them.
I do have updates and have remembered this forum exists, mostly becuase I need to hawk some leftover build parts!
I’ll sort out updating this thread first though, but I do find the forum software on here very difficult to use compared to other forums I’m on.

I think that’s down to photobucket, although I can’t actually remember who I used to host them.
I do have updates and have remembered this forum exists, mostly becuase I need to hawk some leftover build parts!
I’ll sort out updating this thread first though, but I do find the forum software on here very difficult to use compared to other forums I’m on.

The forum has had an update recently so uploading pictures is a lot easier now

Would be great if the notifications worked, or I could use Tapatalk to manage my forum usage.

There is a site issue thread where John will help sort any issues with the site, here -

God this forum software is awful. It’s almost as retro as the bikes 😂

So the pics were pretty bad too but showed me enough. It’s an honest enough bike, lots of paint touch ups but no real damage, and a few components downgraded with newer stuff, presumably to keep it working.

The STX-RC brakes worked ok but looked really cheap and nasty. They appeared to just be re-logoed LX ones from a year or two before. The gripshift were proper cheapo rubbish too.
The tyres were terrible, I road it once on them and they were sketchy as hell.
Only other downside were the rims had a lot of brake wear, so needed replacing really.

So I had a list of things to change straight away.

There is a site issue thread where John will help sort any issues with the site, here -

Thanks, I’ve posted on there but I think any issues are endemic to this particular software. If you’re used to it it’s Proably not so bad, but compared to every other forum i use it’s hard work.

Back