1992 GT Zaskar LE

yeti_bomb

Senior Retro Guru
Just got a frame from my dreams back in the Summer of 1992. Had a good deal on a pretty used Zaskar. Serial says it was built in June of 1992. That very month I was 16 riding a road bike across Oregon. At night this was one of the bikes I dreamed about on that trip. Anyways now trying to think of how I will build this. I want it rigid for now and most likely single speed. Needs a polish real bad and some new decals.

I know there is a lot of Zaskar owners on RB. Any words of advice for polishing the frame?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7027.JPG
    IMG_7027.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_7029.JPG
    IMG_7029.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_7026.JPG
    IMG_7026.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 894
Re:

I had a similar looking Zaskar frame that polished up really nicely just using Autosol polish and then gradually finer grades of wet and dry paper.

Nice one! I used Autosol and Mothers along with a buffing pad for my drill to bring out the luster of the aluminum. This, of course, was after hours of wet/dry sanding and rubbing. My wife thought I was nuts...

I used a polish called "Peek" on mine and found it better than Autosol which left black residue in the welds. It's not as coarse either so came up like a mirror.
Also did an initial clean with very fine wirewool/soapy water.

Re:

As mentioned by a few, worth spending some time going through a few grades on the wet & dry first.... be sure to finish off with 2000 grit then clean thoroughly. I found a great polish called White Diamond :cool: Not abrasive like autosol and has a built in sealant for protection of the finish, it's a liquid not a paste, brilliant results! :cool:

Another vote for "Peeks" polish. I have used it on mine and it works great.

Good luck with the build, looking forward to the pictures :)

Back