Litespeed Ocoee 1991

MattWills3178

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share how my build is going...

Nearly completed my first retro bike, a 1991 Litespeed Ocoee. Built it up over many years, nearly sold once due to a painful divorce, but happily I held onto it and have now almost finished it.

Still need a NOS XTR M900 Rear Mech (hard to find at a reasonable price) and I'm also in the process of procuring some Ringle Ti-Stix Skewers to match the hubs.

When that's done I'd love to find and build up a Cannondale M1000 / M2000 if I can get my hands on a half decent XL frame / forks...

Parts list below:

FRAME: Litespeed Ocoee 1991
FORKS: Rockshox Mag 21 SL Ti (rebuilt, NOS seal / service kit and resprayed by Argos Cycles)
GROUPSET: Shimano XTR M900 BB / Cranks / Chain Rings /STI / Front Mech / Cantilever Brakes (Ceramic Pads) / Rear Cassette / Cables (All NOS) / Shimano XT Rear Mech - to be replaced by XTR M900 Rear Mech if I can source it
WHEELS: Ringle Super Bubba Sliver Hubs (NOS) / DT SS DB Spokes / Brass Nipples
/ Mavic 217 SUP Ceramic Rims (NOS) / Kore Titanium Skewers (NOS) - to be replaced by Ringle Ti-Stix Skewers
PEDALS: Original Shimano SPDs (NOS)
HEADSET: Chris King 1 1/8th Headset
STEM: Syncros 1 1/8th Cattleprod Ahead Stem (NOS)
SEATPOST: Syncros 27.2
SADDLE: Flight Titanium 1991 Saddle (NOS)
BARS: Litespeed Titanium Flat Bars (NOS)
GRIPS: Onza Ules Grips (NOS)
TYRES: Onza Porcupine 2.1 Kevlar Bead - Folding (NOS)

Weighs in at about 23.5lbs including pedals.

Cheers,

Matt

Attachments

• RenderedContent-AB19A5A0-6FCE-4F39-89DF-DE1328029F46.JPG
    RenderedContent-AB19A5A0-6FCE-4F39-89DF-DE1328029F46.JPG
    420 KB · Views: 1,423
  • RenderedContent-7F496058-877F-4D60-BEB1-C4BB4A5E3F79.JPG
    RenderedContent-7F496058-877F-4D60-BEB1-C4BB4A5E3F79.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 1,422
  • RenderedContent-80FC607F-2683-4C90-8745-3CA40AFF8C8E.JPG
    RenderedContent-80FC607F-2683-4C90-8745-3CA40AFF8C8E.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 1,421
Re:

Litespeed's were my ultimate poster bike back in the day, Seriously cool build.

Fancy a swap? Lol

IMG_20170604_151711.jpg

Re:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments!

I'm also super glad it survived the divorce! :) In total I think I spent about £2.5k on it, so it wasn't cheap, but I tried to keep the costs down as far as possible - amazing how much some old stock sells for these days!! I have ridden it a couple of times (who could resist) but I try not to too often as I want to keep it in mint condition - rides beautifully though. Sometimes I think it's a shame it spends so much time locked away - I was thinking about approaching the National Cycle Museum to see if they'd be interested in adding it to their exhibit but not sure they'd be keen.

I got into mountain biking a few (ahem) years ago and I remember the Litespeed Ocoee was featured in an early edition of MBUK, I absolutely loved it back then but there was no way I could have afforded it at the time (the money from my paper round only stretched so far) - so years later, when I found the frame whilst visiting my sister in the US, I jumped at the opportunity. And looking at all of the readers bikes on this forum has provided loads of inspiration and motivation on the journey...

In terms of swapping it - I think I'd sell a kidney before I parted with it, lol. But that is a stunning M2000 (he says turning slightly green with envy)... First dibs if you ever decide to part company! :) And if any of you have an old XL Cannondale M1000 / M2000 frame / parts / advice / suppliers / etc then please feel free to drop me a line as I can't wait to get cracking on the next project.

Cheers,

Matt

Re:

I was only jesting, it's cost me about 5% of what you've spent. It needs a full respray so as soon as I find the original decals I'll be painting it. Just collecting bits at the mo, just ordered some NOS force 40 brake cams for it.

Andy

Re:

I was looking at where I might be able to get some new Cannondale Decals - these guys look promising:

https://shop.vintagecannondale.com/

Hope it helps.

Matt

Re:

You know what? £2.5k for your Litespeed is waaaay better value than some mid range new Spesh or Canyon hard tail.

I'm still seriously jealous!

Back