MK2 1988/89 Raleigh Mustang rescue

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Well it is about time I posted another build :)

I've been busy servicing and sourcing more modern bikes for friends and colleagues but after I got the Mrs to do an emergency stop just around the corner from us, I ended up riding this home. I can't believe what some people throw away!
It's not too bad for its age, appears to have seen little use and has surface rust on the chrome components but everything works.

Stripped down, just the canti's, BB and forks to come off.

I've just finished polishing the rear wheel up and mounted one of the new tyres, pic below to show the result compared to the front which was the better of the two corrosion wise.

She'll be up for sale once I've given her a lot of love and had a ride or two.

Cool, this bike was my 2nd ever atb, after my 1st (mk1 mustang) got nicked

Looks in good nick for its age, unlike me!

Andy B":3pov65y9 said:

Hey Andy, age is but a number ;)

Tidied up a Raleigh Maverick last year, similar to the MK1 Mustang.

Mechs came up nicely, Shimano Light Action RD-L532 rear and SACHS HURET front, I love cleaning mechanicals :)

Chain was a bit rusty on the surface but wasn't skipped my and has no tight links so a good clean and bath in WD40 sorted it out.

Minifreak":3fib1zii said:
Andy B":3fib1zii said:

Hey Andy, age is but a number ;)

Tidied up a Raleigh Maverick last year, similar to the MK1 Mustang.

And that was my best mate at school's first atb & the 1st one I saw & rode

Just waiting for the mk1 'stang to appear in this thread!

Unfortunately one of the barrel adjusters on the LEE CHI brake levers snapped so need to source one or preferably two (other one is also corroded, adjuster ring to main part). Please shout if you have some spare :)

Headset was nice and smooth when taken apart, cups have surface pitting on the chrome but the rest is great :)

Better stop for the day, house is a mess and dinner needs sorting before the boss gets home :LOL:

Back