Redzephyrs Ti Fighter

redzephyr

Kona Fan
Picked this up last year from a cash converter.

No idea what it is but definitely TST made and has Dean/Kona style dropouts, must have been a custom build or prototype I guess. Asked here when i first got it a year ago but doesn't really match anything.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mp;start=0

Previous owner had decked it out in XTR 970 group with fox forks..it didn't have the dean post or moots stem tho'.

WP_20160402_14_53_44_Pro_LI_zpsf21guaq9.jpg

Rode like a dog with the fox fork. Geometry was all wrong.
Have gone back to 93 with some Marin Rockstar forks and stem off my partners old Muirwoods.

Now running mostly xt m730/2 except;
Sugino crank - swapping that out shortly
Paul Canti levers
Paul thumbies with silver shifters from Rivendell bikes

Decided to put my own decals on it.

It's now my "ti fighter" and it rides sweet, don't know what the previous guy was thinking but modern isn't always better.

Run it 7spd when blasting trails...

DSCF0933_zpsdi6mmvtu.jpg

DSCF0934_zpspzswwaak.jpg

DSCF0935_zpsnchsgntc.jpg

but the Street(ti)Fighter runs 6spd ...

DSCF0931_zpsineyiysl.jpg

DSCF0928_zpsuemksovm.jpg

DSCF0929_zpsfxnklmuq.jpg

DSCF0930_zpsbbl7t12s.jpg

Re:

So after a coupe of rides now I've decided that I really like this bike after all and will keep it.. for a while at least.

Since it's now a keeper I decided to upgrade the fork and put the moots stem back on.

The Chris King headset that was on the Ti Fighter is now on the 95 Explosif so on goes a Ritchey Pro.
However, since the Fox F80 is also in the Explosif I have a spare Triple butted P2 fork spare :idea:

After a couple of hours in the garage this morning the Ti Fighter v3.0 emerged..
TB P2...
DSCF0936_zpsgv4bwo2c.jpg

Moots Stem...
DSCF0937_zpshfmboryv.jpg

also put on some Time SPD's and removed the DEAN and Moots decals from seatpost and stem.
DSCF0939_zpszp29duzc.jpg

I don't have a kona cable hanger for these P2's (yet) so it currently sporting an ugly tektro one, but over all I'm pretty happy with it now. Just need some nice cranks and to cut down the steerer.

Re:

Feeling very pleased with myself I went for a ride to test it out.

Off to the local tourist cycle path...
DSCF0940_zpso6bmdrxd.jpg

and down to the beach...was a bit windy and overcast - no swimming today!
DSCF0941_zps1km21n9j.jpg

DSCF0943_zpshfr0vmna.jpg

then in to the harbour, i live on the other side of the flats (2 km away) but unfortunately the channel is too deep to cross even at low tide...
DSCF0944_zpsomfxvijc.jpg

Rides great!

Re:

Thanks E, was a lovely day. NZ has increased the number of cycleways around the country over last few years. Spent $50million bucks on them to encourage cycle tourism. The Ti Fighter is perfect for path riding so I'll be getting it out a bit more. Unfortunately my local path is pretty short, but still quite scenic.

I'm a bit worried that now I have started upgrading the bike it might "need" a few more things... better wheels and tyres etc. At least with it being an unknown & unbranded frame I don't have the compulsion to match everything. Dean seat post, moots stem, x-lite ti bar, it's all ok on the ti fighter as long as the ride is good. God help me if someone figures out what the hell it is!

Re:

I remember that off trademe. Looks nicer for sure. Was a great deal ! Awesome it's getting ridden

Sure was, I'm always suspicious about pawn shop sales on trademe. I did search a few kiwi bike forums for notices about stolen Ti bikes before purchasing.

It helped that the frame is unbranded and the store also put the ad in the wrong category so a lot of people didn't see it.

Despite the decent kit I don't think it was the most attractive bike when I got it....

marin%20team%20br_zpspk2nhkve.jpg

Back