95 Kona Explosif

redzephyr

Kona Fan
Got this frame off ebay for a US$100. Its got a few dings and a dent in the top tube so I thought I'd do a respray, brought a xt 739 group for it but never got around to stripping & setting it up.

With a free weekend I decided to bite the bullet and just build it. So I spent the day in the garage and put it together. I had a xtr 970 set and a fox fork which didn't suit my ti fighter so decided to use that instead.

Frame: 95 Kona Explosif 18'
Fork: Fox F80x

Headset: Chris King
Stem: Easton EA70
Handlebar: Easton monkey lite xc
Grips: Race Face

Brakes: Hope front /XTR rear
Brake Levers: Hope front /XTR rear

Shifters: XTR 970
Front Derailleur: XTR 970
Rear Derailleur: XTR 970
Cranks: XTR 970
Bottom Bracket: XTR 970
Pedals: Time Atac

Wheels: Mavic CrossMax

Saddle: selle italia turbo
Seatpost: Cane Creek Thudbuster

DSCF0923_zpsgkkmtmyh.jpg

DSCF0924_zpsmrwu1pc1.jpg

DSCF0926_zpsloa2yqti.jpg

DSCF0927_zpsys3mrzci.jpg

off for a ride tomorrow :D

Got to love an explosif :cool:

I would have to replace that seatpost though, kinda distracts from the lines of the frame.

Remember to post pics of the ride :)

Mark

Re:

You're not wrong about the post!

But I needed some layback and its the only spare post i had, also figured i'd be out for quite a while tomorrow with the explosif and my ti fighter and thought i'd need something softer on my back toward the end! I expect it'll end up with a Thompson eventually tho'.

cheers
Zephyr

Re:

All I'll say is that I can't see the seat post while I'm riding, but I certainly felt the advantage of having some suspension. After an hour on a fully rigid ti frame on technical rooty tracks it was nice to have the forks up front and the thud buster below to take the edge off for the last couple of hours on the explosif. Bikes are for riding not just looking at... although if you ask my wife shell probably say i do spend a lot of time in the garage looking at them.... And swapping seat posts (and everything else) around to make them look nicer.

Back