Rude lunchtime Rudy Project

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
I bought the frame a while back off ishaw from this forum. Thought I'd start a thread running over here for this bike since I've got one over on LFGSS. Apart from a SS clunker I built to do the Isle of Wight challenge, this is my first mountain bike - so it's been a bit of a learning curve what fits, what the size standards are etc.

Short of the story is I used to commute by bike. I injured my knee badly, had a botched knee op and now can't really ride any distance at all despite still loving my bikes. I got a new job and there are some trails and a lake nearby that look like nice gentle lunchtime rides to me, so I needed to build an offroad bike with fairly relaxed gearing. Enter the Rudy Project frame locally, round at Chateau ishaw...

(Edit 21/03/24: I originally hotlinked the images from LFGSS but I've uploaded them here now. One or two images might be missing)

80a705c7e8baaa775cea4dbd48ae89de2eb89da2.jpeg

If you're familiar with HHSBs, I quite like a bit of slavery, so wide risers are on the cards. I've gone for carbon Monkeylites and pink mushroom grips.

80f7786f92941d176403b9a7b536cfec38eb58f4.jpeg

Gearing took a bit of sussing out, what with all the different brake and shifter mounts. I've decided on a 1x9 setup with SRAM XO.

5a76f734620118f088a7394dd915186bc7f5e9df.jpeg

Cranks are Race Face Deus. I got some bashed up ones, shot blasted them and repainted in satin black.

2c0e16b1623d217efd73263dd6b5e3de8591d7c5.jpeg

5a85b006bbc14d5129d9c8561a7fd8f5c09d1b22.jpeg

Black wheels, will be a black carbon post when it arrives and this is where it's currently at:

cde065c61665004f0f90e34c060f2b7e881e17ff.jpeg

In the post are some tanwall tyres. Just need some little bits and to sort out some brakes and I should be good to screw this together properly fairly soon.

Last edited:
Interesting frame. Built by Verlicchi in Italy. Possibly the fork is the same as used in the nice S-Bike models. I have a Rudy Project Downhill.

Elev12k":1u7vdajk said:
Interesting frame. Built by Verlicchi in Italy. Possibly the fork is the same as used in the nice S-Bike models. I have a Rudy Project Downhill.
Yeah, there's not a lot of info out there about the frames apart from who made them. It's definitely really nicely made and finished well. Would be quite cool to find out what year it was made.

Dare":1u7vdajk said:
Looks very interesting! No black saddle?
I think it's going to look ok with the black seatpost!

Getting there. Chinese seatpost arrived but they've sent me an aero post instead of a round one.

Tyres are exactly how I wanted.

External bottom bracket is a bit sketchy. I'm not entirely convinced I've fitted it correctly and that it's not going to creak/explode and it's a bit wide. Sort of tempted to switch back to something square taper.

image.jpg

Dare":ttgwmr66 said:
Did you fit those rings behind BB cups?
Yes, started with one on each side. I assumed they were there for offsetting. My main concern is they're not a particularly tight fit once the cups are torqued up, so hence not being completely happy with it. There's also a pair of plastic top hat bushes which seem to be there to take up the gap between the axle and bearing race diameters. All seems like a bit of an engineering bodge.

Re:

If they're the same as Shimano external BBs you should have had three spacers.

For 68mm shells you use all three for 73mm shells just one. Start with the 'extra' spacer on the drive side.

It's a cheapy Truvelo copy and only had two spacers. May explain why it didn't lock down fully. I'll have to see what I've got in my spares box then...

Back