My Son’s first retro – A homage to the man - DONE (Page 6)

Antstark

Gold Trader
Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
After 3 years service it is time to say goodbye to my sons trusty Specialized Hotrock FSR 24” and introduce him to the world of retro!

My build criteria for this one would be simple. It had to be light ! most kids bikes, even the good ones weigh a ton…. but then equally it had to be kid proof in the areas I know will get a battering.
Most importantly though it had to perform better and be way cooler than all the 27.5” generic alu-jellymold bikes his mates are getting.
Luckily the hard part was done.. finding a small but high quality retro frame and forks. I had managed to prise this quality steel out of Raidan73's hands a couple of years ago…and it was something pretty special ….literally!

12” 1994 Prestige tubed Specialized Stumpjumper in Team Red

Question is how do you make a 23 year old steel bike cool for an 11 year old kid

Simple….you just add tattoos and a bit of attitude.......Welcome to my mini JMC homage build. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 2,021
  • IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3262.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 2,019
  • IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,018
  • IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,019
  • IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,021
Re: My Son’s first retro – A homage to the man

Antstark":1sn1ab15 said:
Simple….you just add tattoos and a bit of attitude.......Welcome to my mini JMC homage build. :cool:
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have an 11 year old tattooed :LOL:

He's a lucky lad, looking forward to seeing this progress.

DynaCol":3g28oyco said:
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have an 11 year old tattooed :LOL:

He's a lucky lad, looking forward to seeing this progress.

Yeah he doesn't know that though :LOL:

Re:

As this is a homage my choice of parts have very much been 'inspired by' the JMC Dirt bike but it wont be a faithful replica by any means.

So this is what a 12" Stumpy looks like. I also have the rigid direct drive forks as well, which if it were my bike would stay on it.

Given I've already been asked by my son where the rear shock has gone, a suitable suspension fork will be found. Judy FSX would of course be the first choice here however budget and availability mean I have another similar(ish) option lined up. :cool:

Attachments

• prestige3.JPG
    prestige3.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 1,942
  • prestige.JPG
    prestige.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,942
  • prestige2.1.JPG
    prestige2.1.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,942
  • tmbuk.jpg
    tmbuk.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,942

Checking in mate. Hopefully this one can go to the same home as the FSR in a few years time ;)

Such a cool frame

looking forward to this, hope to start a similar build for my lad sometime soon!

Back