91 Miyata Triple Cross Rebuild

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
So I bought a 91 Miyata Triple Cross which isn't quite a mountain bike, but I figured it would get more love over here than on the road board which seems focused more on vintage light weights/racing bikes. I've been thinking about converting my commuter (a disc aluminum CX frame) to a steel bike with fat tire capabilities because I like the ride of steel and I'm appreciating these fat light casing road tires more. I was originally thinking of a velo orange disc pass hunter, a Soma fog cutter, a Soma pescador (sp?) or a New Albion privateer frame. I have a 700c p2 fork from my old Kona Dew which was part of my calculations. Anyhow, this frame cam up much cheaper than any of the other alternatives. I recalled hearing very good things about it - many saw it as a nice alternative to a Bridgestone XO. So I took the plunge and bought it (likely paid too much) with the idea that it would be eventually built up rando style with lots of polished bits (possibly vintage). It may also get a new finish as the powerdercoat is in pretty rough shape and I'm not a big fan of the original colour.

First build will likely be a flat/riser bar mountain bikeish build with 9 speed Deore bits I have hanging about to see if I like the ride. If I do then the plans for a paintjob and a more vintage French themed build will take place.

Anyone have a good way of removing that reflective tape without harming the finish?

Attachments

• small sized frame.jpg
    small sized frame.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,214
Re:

That is a very neat Miyata Triple Cross you got. I would guess it is a 1989 and the color is lovely !

Will follow with interest the progress and the outcome. Good luck!

Re:

concordino":1plt6urf said:
That is a very neat Miyata Triple Cross you got. I would guess it is a 1989 and the color is lovely !

Thanks. I think its a 91 - I found a catalogue online and its the same colour as the one in that catalogue. It also is missing the canti stop on the frame a characteristic shared with the 91 model. I found a pretty decent condition set of XT mechs in my parts bin so I've mounted them up. Most everything else for the initial build (aside from wheels) is coming from my snow bike. I'll post some pics of the build when its done and give a ride report. I was putting in the bb yesterday and had trouble getting the drive side cup in - I think I may need to get the threads chased (I was worried about that when I inspected the frame at purchase). Bit of a bummer.

Here is a link to the 91 catalogue:

http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/m ... -1991.html

Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":2c486wae said:
concordino":2c486wae said:

Thanks. I think its a 91 - I found a catalogue online and its the same colour as the one in that catalogue. It also is missing the canti stop on the frame a characteristic shared with the 91 model. I found a pretty decent condition set of XT mechs in my parts bin so I've mounted them up. Most everything else for the initial build (aside from wheels) is coming from my snow bike. I'll post some pics of the build when its done and give a ride report. I was putting in the bb yesterday and had trouble getting the drive side cup in - I think I may need to get the threads chased (I was worried about that when I inspected the frame at purchase). Bit of a bummer.

Here is a link to the 91 catalogue:

http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/m ... -1991.html

Thanks for the correction on the year. Good luck fixing the threads look forward to seeing the progress. Triple Cross threads get usually very interesting. I've seen in other forums some pretty nice builds.

Re:

Ok, so here is my first build on the Triple Cross. Initially I planned on building it up with some 9 speed modern deore I had on my snow bike/back up commuter. After thinking about the whole fenders and v-brakes issue I decided to go with some Tektro canti's my friend gave me. That lead me to drop bars and a set of 9 speed bar ends I got for that drop bar mountain bike conversion I planned on a Bridgeston MB2 frame two years ago. I was thinking of stripping and painting it, but the green has grown on me over the past months - particularly as I removed the reflective tape (almost all done) and saw it built up with black bits (was planning on silver build originally).

I still want to put on fenders and get some fatter tires on it - 35mm Paselas perhaps? I've been riding it around town and like it. I'm still not sure if I'm really happy with how slack it is up front, but I rotated the bars yesterday and I'm liking it more. So here is the build (as best as I can remember):

Frame: 1991 Miyata Triple Cross
Brake Levers: Wenman 605 levers
Brakes: Tektro cantilevers
Shifters: Shimano 9 speed bar ends
mechs: XT 739 front and rear
Wheels: 700c Mavic CXP 22 & 105 hubs
Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo reproduction
Tires: Continental Tour Ride 32mm x 700c
Bar: Some vintage Cinelli drops with aero dimples
Stem: Profile design quill with removable faceplate
Crank: Race face Ride
Pedals: MEC flats
Seat Post: Original

Attachments

• XXX -  small.jpg
    XXX - small.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,951
Re: Re:

dirttorpedo":e3ghaw38 said:
Ok, so here is my first build on the Triple Cross. Initially I planned on building it up with some 9 speed modern deore I had on my snow bike/back up commuter. After thinking about the whole fenders and v-brakes issue I decided to go with some Tektro canti's my friend gave me. That lead me to drop bars and a set of 9 speed bar ends I got for that drop bar mountain bike conversion I planned on a Bridgeston MB2 frame two years ago. I was thinking of stripping and painting it, but the green has grown on me over the past months - particularly as I removed the reflective tape (almost all done) and saw it built up with black bits (was planning on silver build originally).

I still want to put on fenders and get some fatter tires on it - 35mm Paselas perhaps? I've been riding it around town and like it. I'm still not sure if I'm really happy with how slack it is up front, but I rotated the bars yesterday and I'm liking it more. So here is the build (as best as I can remember):

Frame: 1991 Miyata Triple Cross
Brake Levers: Wenman 605 levers
Brakes: Tektro cantilevers
Shifters: Shimano 9 speed bar ends
mechs: XT 739 front and rear
Wheels: 700c Mavic CXP 22 & 105 hubs
Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo reproduction
Tires: Continental Tour Ride 32mm x 700c
Bar: Some vintage Cinelli drops with aero dimples
Stem: Profile design quill with removable faceplate
Crank: Race face Ride
Pedals: MEC flats