My first Trek , and now first ride

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all
OK here we are again , after the untimely and explosive demise of my Sunn Xchox project my thoughts turned to the sorry remains of the Trek 8700 shx i picked up in the summer .
As i say it was a pretty sorry state with loads of corrosion and missing paint etc , none of the original running gear was there but it cost peanuts so why not i thought :)
Never owned or even ridden a Trek before so here goes , i roughly measured it at the time as 18 in ctc but after stripping the paint i find its actually marked 8700 shx 19.5 under the bb shell so i hope its not too big as i usually ride an 18 , there are numbers all over this thing :LOL: these look hand punched too .

So after stripping the junk off it i have been the stripping the paint and roughly polishing the alloy followed by the lacquer .
As usual its going to be ridden and has a pretty much zero budget so going to try and build it from what i have or can swop around .

So now i need some inspiration ! i have a nice set of m900 on 231 rims in stock and a mix of LX M560 and XT M738 so there is the choice of cantis or v brakes or i have some later 9 speed Deore/ lx stuff too ?
As for forks i have some Manitou sx in red or some Magnums in black and yellow to try along with various black seatpost/ bar /stems etc.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/ninja176/embed/story"></iframe>

And that is where its at so far , all suggestions welcome :LOL:
Paul

Re: My first Trek

You'll love the ride!

Mine is a 19.5 as well, and I'm 1m77. Fits me like a glove.

Check the thread in my sig to see my restoration. I chose to stay close to original spec.

PaintedDesert":24aj9yt0 said:
You'll love the ride!

Mine is a 19.5 as well, and I'm 1m77. Fits me like a glove.

Check the thread in my sig to see my restoration. I chose to stay close to original spec.
Hi and thanks for the reply .
I have read your post many times and been so impressed with the finished result and your attention to detail :cool:
I am about the same height so should be good ! so how do they ride ? i had a Cadex years ago and i remember it being pretty compliant and not too harsh .

Cheers Paul

Definitely not as harsh as my Klein Attitude, but still plenty stiff. The wheelbase is not super short, so it's perhaps not the most flickable bike. It's pretty light for that era though. Never ridden a Cadex so can't compare.

Good luck with your restoration, the paint strip and polishing look very promising!

I wasn't expecting it to come up as well as that,

Credit to you for putting in the graft and making it look pretty once more

Re:

You've done a great job of tidying that frame up Paul! Lot's of love gone into it already.

I have a pair of M737 sti levers if they're any good to you. Or maybe M738. 8speed, canti jobs.

Mike

Retro Spud":wtficf1i said:
I wasn't expecting it to come up as well as that,

Credit to you for putting in the graft and making it look pretty once more
Thank you :D I'm pleased with the result I have to say ,now it's the usual wondering what to hang on now lol !
Paul

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":hk4getvu said:
You've done a great job of tidying that frame up Paul! Lot's of love gone into it already.

I have a pair of M737 sti levers if they're any good to you. Or maybe M738. 8speed, canti jobs.

Mike
Hi mate , I'm pretty happy with it as I don't have your patience or attention to detail :facepalm:
I'm still trying to decide on the running gear , I have an xt front and rear mech and period Sugino chainset but can't decide on canti or v brake yet :roll: looks like I'm probably going with the black and yellow manitou forks as the red ones don't seem to look right .
Paul

Back