1991 DEAN Titanium #69

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Some know I am in the midst of a cull to sell off about a dozen bikes and frames so I can build more and not feel like a 5 alarm vintage mtb nutcase. Trying to downgrade to a 4 alarm.

Well I haven't sold any but I managed to acquire another :facepalm:

I swear I have a list I'm selling and I'm gonna do it!

Anyway, here's a first generation 1990-1992 Dean Titanium I just picked up. I'm not sure on the year. It's definitely one of the first ones being #69.

Re:

Nice one! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of that..

Mine (#10:cool: is said to be from 1994, if that helps (but I have no clue about their yearly output)..
It's clearly different from this one, for example if you look at the cable guides.

Re: Re:

Double-E F":2l8bp1vk said:
Nice one! Looking forward to seeing more pictures of that..

Mine (#10:cool: is said to be from 1994, if that helps (but I have no clue about their yearly output)..
It's clearly different from this one, for example if you look at the cable guides.

I just got it apart. It looks like I was rebuit at least three times. Whoever had it last put some pretty nice c2007 parts on it and probably rode it 100km.

I'm not sure on the serial numbers. This one is definitely one of the first gens from Sandvik from the dropouts and routing. Yours (awesome BTW) looks like the 2nd Gen sandvik model with the bullet stays and side routing.

Re:

Here's the frame. Didn't have the right (modern) tool to remove the crank so I had to take it into a shop. I got some nice dean parts with it - post and handlebar (mint). I didn't get a stem, but I wouldn't have used it anyway - no rise or cable guide. I'm going salsa roller.

If you look close you can see this has or had the old style rainbow "Titanium" decals. I'm not sure what to do about the decals.

Group :? I like Suntour XC Pro for the black, but no black hubs. XT732 would have the black hubs, but it's more silver. Mix and match :twisted: ??

Re: 1990-1992 DEAN Titanium #69

This might make this build more interesting ...

Re:

I didn't expect to get my mitts on one of those forks ... let alone a matching matte titanium one.

I am a bit worried about the sizing. Its a says its a 19", but its a first gen Sandvik so its measured in an odd way (base of BB to T). It also has a shorter TT than the later Deans. They were designed for long 150mm stems.

I am going to install the headset and mock it up to see how it fits.

If I go this route I need to find a matte Ti stem to match. I have a few polished Ti ones, but not mattes.

Re:

I saw that one ... I really want a quill one. The fork is threaded and I already have a new black CK threaded headset set to fit.

One will turn up. If anyone has a matte Ti 1 1/8" quill stem that wants to swap for a polished Ti one, or a salsa, or any gen syncros. I'd be interested in a Litespeed, McMahon, Dean, etc.

Re: 1990-1992 DEAN Titanium #69

jimi911":hycbgwx3 said:
This might make this build more interesting ...

Litespeed fok on a Sandvik made frame ? :mrgreen:

Back