'91 Cannondale SM800 Beast of The East (new pics 13-8-08)

Herman

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I just bought a well used SM800, and I'm not sure what to do.

It's very original, but the paint is rather damaged.

I can leave it just as it is, a 17 year old bike wich shows it's age. Or try to restore the paintjob (not so easy).

All the parts are very good, even the tyres are original (I think) So it's not been used a lot. But when used, the paint was not spaired.

I can touch up the black paint (not so difficult because of the orange blobs) and make it a lot better, but the paint will never be on the same level as the other parts.

See some of the pictures.

Greetings,

Herman

Attachments

• Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 8,659
  • Handlebar.jpg
    Handlebar.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8,659
  • Fork.jpg
    Fork.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8,661
  • Saddle.jpg
    Saddle.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 8,659
I think you should drop the stem back into the frame, change the saddle and search for the closest matching orange paint you can and just add blobs. When you have a bike that looks like it has been pebble dashed in orange then go for a respray!

If it's that original, keep it as it is. I like it and welcome. The high BB makes that proper sized chainset look like a compact one. Bring on the rocks!

Porcupines!

Nice bike Herman

From the pics the paint doesn't look really bad to me. But maybe the pics don't unveil everything? Anyway, black is easy to touch up and like you said the splitter-splatter makes paint flaws less visible. The damages to the decal, like seen in one of the pics can be easily touched up as well. Would visit a decent model build shop for enamal paint. Plenty to choose from and enamel is easy to work with.

Lovely :cool: though agree with IWGO and change the saddle.

Thanks for all the tips.

I had already dropped the stem, it was sticking out beyond the min. mark.

I just dropped it a bit more (after looking in the '91 catalog).

Sure I'm gonna look for a better (more original saddle) but this was the one that was on the bike.

Good tip about the Model shop and adding orange splatter. And yes there is a lot more damage to the paint then what is showing on the pictures. But I'm gonna touch them all up. And use some more wax on the paint, and then it will look like new (almost).

Keep the tips coming :))

Greetings,

Herman

Any tips on which saddle to get?

It doesn't have to be an old saddle, just a retro looking new one will do.

I have been looking around "Marktplaats" that's a Dutch kind of Ebay site. But didn't find a good looking saddle.

Tips are welcome.

Greetings,

Herman

Marktplaats? Never heard of it.

Seat could be such as a Turbo. Maybe there isn't one on Marktplaats now, but they pop up regularly. I think it is worth the wait compared to buying a contemporary one.

Some additional comments on the touch up: Use 00 size pencils and solids are easier to work with than gloss/metallics.

Back