1993 Fillet Brazed Curtlo Mountaineer - Done

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Here's another example of handmade brazed MTBs from the early 90s.

This is a 1993 Curtlo Mountaineer built by Doug Curtis in Santa Clarita, CA.

I've been looking for one of these for a long while and tried to pry two out of CA unsuccessfully. Finally three suddenly showed up on fleabay in a matter of weeks and I nabbed this one.

I'm not 100% sure if this is one of the frames Doug purpose built for the ActionTec fork. The previous owner said it had a manitou fork of some kind on it. Curtlos were some of the very first suspension adjusted MTBs. That rigid fork on it is suspension adjusted so it may get the call. It certainly matches the tubing well. I may need to track down an Action Tec fork.

Anyway - it needs a full repaint.

Re: 1993 Fillet Brazed Curtlo Mountaineer

Really nice, great to see some fillet brazed goodness as they are pretty rare in the MTB world.

Re: 1993 Fillet Brazed Curtlo Mountaineer

:cool: thats looks very nice, i think it would look good with those forks colour matched. Have you decided on a colour yet? Look forward to seeing more pics :)

Mark

Re:

Thanks ... still trying to get the BB out :|

I'm not sure on a colour. Curtlo did like wild colours, heavy annodizing, or both. I don't have any bikes with 3dv so I may go there.

I'll prob use that fork or a Manitou of some kind. Something chunky like the frame.

Re: 1993 Fillet Brazed Curtlo Mountaineer - Lean'n 3dv???

My "cheap" investment got more $$$y with an ActionTec Ti BB that needed to be cut out by a pro.

I have a pretty cool Ringle/TNT/Avid 3dv group I've been hoarding. Thinking of tarting this up.

I can do almost any colour, combo, or scheme. It's. Blank slate. Any suggestions? What looks good with 3dv?

Hmmm, i would be tempted to paint the frame a bright colour and spec all black components. If you need to use the 3dv then any colour would work, from bright yellows, think yeti builds, and lime green, to black and every colour inbetween :) i think a nice deep purple would look very nice, uh, am i being of any help :?: :facepalm:

Mark

Hey it's all helpful. I've been looking at and saving images for ideas. I probably would go for a more classic build if I had t been to that well so often. I've got a few bright and black bikes, a turquoise one, and everything in between it seems. I don't think I have a 3dv part on any of my bikes so this will be new.

A couple more ideas, you could have the frame and forks chromed, or commision a local artist to do his thing, maybe with airbrush? or could leave it bare and just laquer it considering how its made :)

Mark

Re:

I've got a couple chrome clad bikes coming soon ... I hope. I am considering just the clear over the bare brazed frame, but I'm not sure how that would look sigh 3dv. I was also tossing the idea of a Shades style bit of art on the frame.

Also tossing around a Matt finish (greys or black), something with polka dots (yes Curtlo did that :LOL: ) or maybe something with a bit of bright metallic purple splatter to catch the 3dv.

It can be wild. Early 90s Curtlos were pretty fun.

Here's some examples of Curtlos.

Back