1986 Custom built Holt.

james1985

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just been on a road trip to pick this up.

Don't know a huge amount about it but the person i bought it from is forwarding me some emails as he was talking to the person that built it 35 years ago.

Re: 1981...

It says on the frame 'Holt Lonsdale'. There is also a shop sticker for Holt Cycles, Derby (still in business). I picked it up in Derby not far from the shop.

It also came with a front rack, some huge lamps, some original pannier bags and some replacement tyres. The original tyres are a bit perished but stilll rideable at the moment. Probably wouldnt want to get too far from home on them though.

Re: 1981 Custom built Holt.

I'd have to question the age a bit as most of that screams 1986, even the Tracer chainset. A lot of that stuff simply didnt exist until around 1983 onward.

Right!

That rear mech didnt appear until the 86 model year and those distinctive Lee Chi levers still scream 1986.

As the first MTB's in the UK didnt start appearing until 1983 (Ridgeback/ FW Evans/ Saracen/ Dawes) the demand for the All Terrain Bike wouldnt have kicked off until 1984 onward when everybody would have jumped in.

I bet you an XT rear mech of your choice that those bars are 21.1mm or '.833' as the Americanus Trumpus would have it - popular with BMX/ Schwinn and a few far east built brands.

Have a look in here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=299323

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295369&start=30&hilit=evans

legrandefromage":aaklw4fl said:
I'd have to question the age a bit as most of that screams 1986, even the Tracer chainset. A lot of that stuff simply didnt exist until around 1983 onward.

Right!

That rear mech didnt appear until the 86 model year and those distinctive Lee Chi levers still scream 1986.

As the first MTB's in the UK didnt start appearing until 1983 (Ridgeback/ FW Evans/ Saracen/ Dawes) the demand for the All Terrain Bike wouldnt have kicked off until 1984 onward when everybody would have jumped in.

I bet you an XT rear mech of your choice that those bars are 21.1mm or '.833' as the Americanus Trumpus would have it - popular with BMX/ Schwinn and a few far east built brands.

Have a look in here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=299323

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=295369&start=30&hilit=evans

I don't know how I've not stumbled across those threads before! Awesome. The seller advised it was an 81, but yes, that would be before we really had mtb here.
I have been doing a bit more research into it and I reckon you are right on the money LGF. 86-87 (I was born in 85 so new to all this vintage stuff)
I have the email addy for the person that built it so I'm gonna get some better photos at the weekend and ask him about it.

Regardless of age that's one nice looking bike

I outed it on the forum a while ago. I would have bought it myself for the hell of it but I have enough on my plate at the moment. None of it relating to RB i might add :-(

Latest posts

Back