1992 cannondale delta v 1000

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
collected this from graveldog last weekend after an impulse buy, glad i did as i think theyre as cool as penguins piss :cool:

looked nice in yellow but needed the longun touch, also the front forks needed looking at and the rear shock is too long and needs longer bushings/spacers. easy ebay sourcing during christmas for the rear shock, the front however has been....erm....fun. trawled the interweb looking for info pics etc on this original headshock and i kept hitting walls that said if its old and bust, replace with the newer ones, fair enough.............if you can find them. looked at retrofitting an elastomer and while fiddling and removing bits i appear to have cured it for now, it holds air and bounces, not sure what the rebound damping etc will be like but for now at least itll be usable when finished.

next job was to remove the old decals and strip the paint. used an orbital sander, paint stripper and even the old cling film around paint stripper wasnt giving the results i wanted. looked in blasting the frame locally and finally found a wheel refirb compnay dead local who chemically stripped it for the grand sum of fish, chips and peas twice ;)

after the initial orbital attack and paint stripper attempts

back from the accciiiiidddd bath, or whatever they dip it in

after a quick sanding, wet and dry, wire wool and brasso it looks much better, not perfect and shiney by any means but i wanted a bare look to this

pumped up the fork, refitted the headset and bolted a few bits back on to get a visual impression. im happy with it tbh, may try and polish it further and will get some basic dale decals for the downtube.

got a loada dx stuff from the mirage i never rode to fit and fingers crossed all ill need is the stem from carl to finish it well within a small budget for the new year

next job is clean the wheels etc ready fo fitting and sort a rear shock

Re:

Gotta bring this to Mayhem as I'm desperate to have a go on one of these...and also the Trek pogo stick

Except for the Muddy Fox / Bontrager esq footprints I was digging the yellow and then you stripped it :shock:

Looking forward to seeing the end result and being proved wrong on the nakedness of the frame

Re:

Will do buddy. Paint wasnt great hence it got stripped, actually liked the yellow and was tempted to have it coated yellow. The trek sadly wont be with me as mikee isnt ready to sell it back.......yet ;)

Re:

That frame and one of those special bottles of Mayhem lager would make for a great combination ;)

Kinda take the words right out of your mouth

Re:

Looking great. Be delighted to know how you removed the rear triangle pivot bolt. Managed to get one off my EST project, but the other refuses to budge and is now truly rounded. I'm assuming of course it's a similar BB style arrangement...

Always been fascinated with these odd looking frames, always interested in discovering how the E S T technology rides. Just never had the guts to buy one yet.. maybe one day. Anyway will enjoy following this thread.. :)

rear shock is just 2 countersunk bolts, very much like a bb. mine used an imperial sized allen key but cant remember of the top which size, id just drill it out and replace with a like for like, im sure ive seen them on ebay. couldnt remove the swing arm bb/bearing cups so left them in and will repack with grease when its ready.

managed to fit a new shock this afternoon, only a £7.99 ebay one and £1 hardware from bapp bolts and all appears good in the hood. Ive grinded one of the shock corners a tad as it was touching the frame and eventually i'll replace the stainless washers for nylon when i get chance.

one week to go until i get a stem and i think itll be good to go in the new year with all the other parts here and ready for cleaning :)

Re:

I would be keen to know how the £7.99 shock is ?
Could be the way forward for my exploding one on the Sunn :D
Cheers Paul

Back