1989 Brodie Romax

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Finally got my mits on one and in Toronto! I am regularly taunted by a Romax 5 minutes from my house that I haven't been able to acquire. This isn't it, but it's a solid find.

November 1989 Brodie Romax with brazed fork.

If it looks odd it should. It was sent to Marinoni in Montreal in the very late 90s. Typical Marinoni repaint - it's good, but not Toxic Harrold good. They put a XTR 951/2 group on it - original owner probably spent a fortune on it and never really rode it.

Unfortunately the frame was modified for v brakes :facepalm:

This will be a bit of a project :?

Re:

Hey - that's exactly the fork that mine had on it originally, back in '89 ... until I bent it hitting the far side of a hidden ditch that I failed to clear while airing off the top of a burm on Seymour in the early 90's, and replaced it with a Rockshox Mag 20! I see the 'noodle' is gone - did they cut it off when it was 'modified' for V-brakes (sacrilege!)?

What serial number is the bike? Are you going to re-paint, or are you
keeping that livery?

Oh- and all that new-ish XTR stuff has gotta go!

Re:

Nice project. I wonder if it was a seat stay mounted u-brake
or an under chain stay mounted one. Or was it a canti frame.
I'm pretty sure anything pre 1990 was u-brake.
Are you planning on changing it back to U-brakes
or into a canti bike? Looks decent as is.
Just too bad about the mod's.

What you hiding under that sticky on the top tube? :)

Re: Another Brodie Romax has surfaced :)

Signing in for updates - great find :)

Re:

k-rod":3fiq2hb0 said:
Hey - that's exactly the fork that mine had on it originally, back in '89 ... until I bent it hitting the far side of a hidden ditch that I failed to clear while airing off the top of a burm on Seymour in the early 90's, and replaced it with a Rockshox Mag 20! I see the 'noodle' is gone - did they cut it off when it was 'modified' for V-brakes (sacrilege!)?

What serial number is the bike? Are you going to re-paint, or are you
keeping that livery?

Oh- and all that new-ish XTR stuff has gotta go!

I haven't seen too many 89+ romaxes with the brazed fork. Most seem to have the first gators. Sort of a nice feature.

I think it's gonna need the full treatment ... paint will be the easy part!

Xtr is gonzo :)

Retro_Roy":3fiq2hb0 said:
Nice project. I wonder if it was a seat stay mounted u-brake
or an under chain stay mounted one. Or was it a canti frame.
I'm pretty sure anything pre 1990 was u-brake.
Are you planning on changing it back to U-brakes
or into a canti bike? Looks decent as is.
Just too bad about the mod's.

What you hiding under that sticky on the top tube? :)

I'm not sure where the U was mounted ... could be either as you say. I am fairly certain it was not a cantilever brake model. The bosses on the back look a bit newer than you'd expect to find.

The plan is to do a full restoration. I would almost prefer to mount the brake below the chain stays. I like the look of that better and I already have two Brodie's with upper u brakes. I'm leaining that way today.

The original owner had his name painted on the bike. I thought it best not to post that on the Internet ... But really who paints their name on a mountain bike and rides it 10 feet? :facepalm:

Re:

Here's some pics of the bosses. Looks like this was not a canti bike originally.

27.0 seatpost. I've got Brodies with 26.8, 27.0, and 27.2 seat tubes.

Grabbing my seat for this one!

You might be able to see where the original bosses were after stripping the paint.

Is the other one you're after the splatter paint one that gets used as a shopping bike in Leslieville? seen it locked up outside the Lakeshore Loblaws a couple of times.

Re:

mechagouki":20ovh78e said:
Is the other one you're after the splatter paint one that gets used as a shopping bike in Leslieville? seen it locked up outside the Lakeshore Loblaws a couple of times.

That's the one! It's been spotted by a few here. I've talked to the owners partner about it and she really doesn't want to sell it. It's probably been used almost everyday of it's 25+ year life so she's pretty attached to it. It be a serious project ... I've seen it up close.

I have seen a total of 5 Romaxs (Romaxes?) in the GTA
- that local commuter
- the dirt drop/ripe pipe one
- this one
- shutter's one from Ottawa which I believe is for sale.
- one once at Bisegal modified as a track or circle racer.

Not many make it east.

Back