Newest arrival - 1993 Manitou FS long term project

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Why oh why can I not stop trawling eBay :LOL:

So I had been watching this bike for sometime and didn't know if I should bite the bullet or not what with the disclosed cracks, I doubted I'd ever get the chance to buy one of these iconic bikes again so sent the seller an offer. Five minutes later I'd done the deal and 3 days later she arrived very well packaged.

I've been over her with a torch best I can whilst she's built up and have discovered one more crack on the top tube a few inches to the right of the one already disclosed. Seller has been PM'd on eBay in the hope he will refund some money due to this.

It has a nice spec but certainly need the bars, gear shifters and brake set changing.

Once the frame is sorted I'm planning on swapping parts for the following I have kicking about:

Saddle will be a Flite Ti
Bars with be silver Marin Lites
Grips with be ODI Attacks
Chainset to be replaced with XTR M900 if the current BB length suits
Gear shifters to XT thumbies
Brake levers will be Dia-Compe S55's and XTR M900 canti's
Tyres wise I'm thinking Ritchey tan walls :D

Likely to strip of what I'm not using and sell the bits soon but the build will be in the new year.

Some pics

The cracks :x

Re:

You love trawling & saving bikes :facepalm:
Once you have the frame repaired your going to have a very special/rare bike.. :cool:
The Manitou bikes are obviously very prone to cracking, dings, being super light and thin walled.. am assuming you managed to knock off a chunk of the £500 that was asked for. I think it was well worth the risk, if your looking for a project, a more of a slow burner this is as good as any ! :D

Re: Re:

Cheshire1980":3c6jv6oh said:
You love trawling & saving bikes :facepalm:
Once you have the frame repaired your going to have a very special/rare bike.. :cool:
The Manitou bikes are obviously very prone to cracking, dings, being super light and thin walled.. am assuming you managed to knock off a chunk of the £500 that was asked for. I think it was well worth the risk, if your looking for a project, a more of a slow burner this is as good as any ! :D

Cheers Cheshire, wasn't a huge chunk off but enough to make me bite. Certainly not going to be getting around to having the frame fixed anytime soon but I've already removed and possibly sold the saddle so some progress of sorts :LOL:

The seller has recently replaced the elastomers both ende and put new tyres, tubes and cables in her so if it wasn't for the cracks I'd be giving her a spin and Bedgebury this weekend, have to take a GT instead.

Re:

My fav ever full susser, so pretty but il prolly take a punt on the Marin Ti version one day.

brocklanders023":7gwemoe9 said:
Lovely bikes and a real icon of the times but I could never bring myself to buy one so bravo sir!

Even with it fixed its only going to be used for gentle cross country, I can atlesst appreciate its design the rest of the time ;)

Minifreak":1oryy1ka said:
brocklanders023":1oryy1ka said:
Lovely bikes and a real icon of the times but I could never bring myself to buy one so bravo sir!

Even with it fixed its only going to be used for gentle cross country, I can at least appreciate its design the rest of the time ;)

That how I bust mine.... They're made of cheese :shock:

And its not even hard cheese

I'm using mine regularly and don't have any issues with headtube cracks.

@minifreak: Nice score! Whats's the serial # and date? Should be one of the early Answer production ones from end 1992 / beginning 1993

I did something similar a few years back and bought one from California with weird parts collection. I found a crack in the headtube of course and decided to get it fixed, so frank the welder has had it a couple of years now and last week he confirmed its ready to return, boxed up and ready to come home. Like yourself I bought it as a slow burn project and it has indeed proven to be just that. :) when it comes back I intend to polish it up and begin to build it. I will ride it, but only in the local parks and just enjoy the project coming together.

Back