Webster Tarantula my sons new bike **Finished****

Gruff

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I just happened to be on the forum at the right time when this came up for sale from radian73 so snapped it up for my son as he's been riding around on a crappy BSO.

Not sure of the year, maybe 91 or 92 but built by Lee Cooper for Websters bike shop and is in a lovely purple/pink Kleinesque fade paint.

It will be built mainly with DX components bar the hubs which are Deore LX and a few modern components like the saddle some BMX brake levers and probably some Charge Splashbacks.

No doubt this will all change though!

Anyway just a couple of starter pics.

Re: Webster Tarantula my sons new bike

It's pink, so he is going to be laughed at. at least thats what certain german kids around here would do.

I, for my part, like it very much.

I think the klein-esque paint will see more positive than mickey taking. Are you building it for him or is he taking an active part and learning how to build?

KDM":3nllbtik said:
I think the klein-esque paint will see more positive than mickey taking. Are you building it for him or is he taking an active part and learning how to build?

Pink is his favorite colour :D
He's 12 so i'm hoping to get him involved in the build although bikes don't interest him that much but he does like coming out on rides with my local group.

please when he outgrows it, dibs for my little girl, she's only 5 1/2 so i'm in no hurry

DrJo":45cbgd7d said:
please when he outgrows it, dibs for my little girl, she's only 5 1/2 so i'm in no hurry

Of course
:xmas-big-grin:

Re:

Bit of an update....it's finished :D apart from the repair on the original project 2 forks so its got some temporary Tange Big forks.

He's taking it out for it's first ride tomorrow.

Heres the spec:

Frame: Webster Tarantula unknown tubing mix of lugs and fillet braze
Fork: 1 1/8th threaded Tange Big fork (temporary)
Headset: Miche sealed purple
Bottom Bracket: 122.5 mm UN71
Chainset: 170mm MT61 with 26,36,26 SGX rings
Pedals: cheap purple alloy cage and body.
Chain: Sram PC830
Front Mech: Shimano DX 28.6 top pull
Rear Mech: Shimano DX
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Brake Levers: 2 finger BMX
Brakes: Shimano DX cantilevers
Grips: BMX mushroom style
Bars: Marin Ovation
Stem: Fusion steel quill with cable stop
Seatpost: 27.0mm Kalloy
Saddle: Modern Carrera
Rims: Araya CV7
Cassette: Shimano HG50
Hubs: Shimano Deore LX
Spokes: Stainless
Tyres: 1.8 Charge Splasback

Obviously this has not been a completely period build purely because it's got to be fit for my son to comfortably complete some decent distance rides.
Anyway pictures speak a thousand words so here they are.

Back