Tim Gould's '93 Newnham Schwinn (homage) FINISHED

Bollox64

BoTM Winner
Pace Fan
Feedback
View
So - I got THAT itch in my fingers again, and despite having my Giant MCM 990 still to build up (now sold to Italy so I can fund this build), I decided to get myself a long-term project - long-term meaning that I want to have it ready for Iconoclassic 2018

As a few may have seen in another thread, BITD I won a magazine comp (Mountain Biker), so myself and a mate got to stay with the Ritchey/Scott/Schwinn (+ Caroline Alexander) team for the '93 Plymouth WC race, hanging at the hotel, eating with them, helping prep bikes and even riding their bikes. On the training day, we rode the course with Tim Gould, Mike Kloser, World Champ Henrik Djernis and Thomas Frischnekt. We both virtually popped our lungs trying to keep up :shock: !

On the first big steep downhill (Pipeline) we were passed by Tomac - going sideways :cool: !

On raceday we hung out in the team tent, and then went out on course with the team manager Simon Burney and Caroline (after she'd raced), and handed out water bottles and swapped dusty sun glasses for Tim and Co.

At the end of the weekend we each got given Team Ritchey/Schwinn jerseys and shorts and some T-shirts (still have the Schwinn jersey), and I also have Mike Kloser's signed race number.
My mate John broke his collar bone in a bikepark some years later, and the medics cut off his jersey - he was not a happy chap :cry:

schwinn jersey by Bollox2u, on Flickr

Tim wasn't sponsored by X-Lite, I added that patch later.

Grundig93 Mike Kloser number by Bollox2u, on Flickr

Grundig93 Team Ritchey_Schwinn by Bollox2u, on Flickr

The Team bikes were actually Paramount Team frames - painted in Schwinn colours.
Paramount was to Schwinn what Infiniti is to Nissan

http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1993/Pa ... m_MTB.html

Despite what the "idol card" shows, Tim rode Scott Unishocks for the '93 race, so I will be looking for a pair of them, plus a Ritchey seatpost and stem, XTR bits-n bobs, Scott AT-2 handlebars, Ritchey Vantage Pro rims (black), and other stuff I am not sure of yet, as I can't find that many Photos of his bike from that day.

If anyone has photo's of any of the Schwinn team from '93 - please post them here.
I have some from the race and the team hotel/service, which I'll post later on.

SO anyway - I just bought this off Fleabay;

s-l1600 by Bollox2u, on Flickr

schwinn1 by Bollox2u, on Flickr

s-l1602 by Bollox2u, on Flickr

s-l1606 by Bollox2u, on Flickr

s-l1608 by Bollox2u, on Flickr

Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that the frame crosses the Atlantic unscathed...

Re:

This will be a great project :cool:

Sure I had a Orange frame, possibly Elite with Ranjeet Grewal written on the top tube. :?

Re: Tim Gould Schwinn homage build

Amazing story and project! Some of those Paramount frames were really well put together by Waterford and that one looks really well made, I know that there is some (underground) love for them over the other side of the pond but I don't recall there being much impact over here.

Re:

Awesome build project you have on the cards there...

Looks like that rear chainstay is well bent, what's the idea of that?

Re: Re:

Thanks! That's how they were designed, to "prevent" chain slap. Check out the catalogue link in the thread. Ritchey had that too IIRC

Retro Spud":nwayofvr said:
Awesome build project you have on the cards there...

Looks like that rear chainstay is well bent, what's the idea of that?

Re:

Looks odd, but cool if that makes sense

Nice to see something different that's not a Kona or a Yeti etc

Great project, looking forward to updates.

Didn't realise the 2 chainstays were different!

What an ace start to a thread..will watch with very much interest..& the chain stays how unusual.. :)

Re:

I'm pleased someone else mentioned the chainstay. Didn't want to give you the bad news!
Interesting theory

Looking forward to progress

Mike

Signing up with interest - great project :)

Back