1993 Mantis Pro Floater (DONE)

ErikFive

Retro Guru
One of this winters projects. Not much else to do than build over here since we have snow for 4 months. ;) 1993 Mantis Pro Floater. Pretty mint frame. Was told that previous owner had stored it in his garage since new and that it only have been ridden one or two times. Not sure what I will end up doing with it when I´m done. It sort of was a impulse buy and I´m not a big fan of full suspension bikes. I might do an exception on this one though, but might just sell it.

Build strategy: Chrome, chrome and then som chrome.

-Mantis Pro floater
-Custom painted long travel Rock Shox with cool brake arch and Mantis decal.
-Titanium BB
-Campa headset (Thanks Adrian!)
-I got a fd M900 with it and I have the rest that I need so will be M900 drivetrain
-M900 hubs on Mavic 231
-CQP crank. On it´s way and need some love.
-XT 735 pedals. On it´s way.
-Control tech stem
-Silver Avid Tri Align (have to be sorted, anyone have a set?) or something chrome. Want something round to match the crank arms.
-Handlebars. Not yet sorted, but chrome. Might have something.
-Grips might be Onza Porcipaws since I have it
-Black cable housings
-Tires. Not sure. I have skinwall Smoke/Dart in the shed, but also have wildgripper DH there in full black.

Attachments

• IMG_6881.jpg
    IMG_6881.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,133
Re: 1993 Mantis Pro Floater

Sweet project. Is your rear shock healthy? Need to find a solution for mine - it's leaking/has no damping.

Yes, seems like it, even though I haven´t tested it yet. ;) Front suspension is also tight and buttery. A very good starting point. Better than I´m used to.

mrkawasaki":3jvkkwt7 said:
Sweet project. Is your rear shock healthy? Need to find a solution for mine - it's leaking/has no damping.

Re:

registering for updates. :cool:

still need to complete putting mine together. it's been a while. :facepalm: all that's needed is installing brakes, grips and cable it up.

might strip and polish mine (currently green) just to have it up and running. and then decide later to repaint if i'm happy with it.

You better start going, but stripping paint is a pita. Haha.

Forgot seatpost and seat. Not sure here. I wan´t the seatpost to be all chrome, but without to much going on. Aka not some large decal taking focus off the bike. Low key. Might just find a very worn Syncros and sand it down and pollish and drop decals.

Seat I am not sure about. I guess most people would put a Flite on there and I have a couple of those, but I might just go for a Turbo.

Wheres in Norway would that be? Four months of snow a year seems pretty lot in these global warmin days...

;)

Hello from Norway! :mrgreen:

This is from saturday. We had 11 minus celcius degrees last week. Been "warm" for a couple of days now, so most of it is gone. I live just outside of Oslo. We usually have snow from at least desember till March. And ice in the end when the snow is melting and there is minus degrees at night.

26er":3fzqlt10 said:
Wheres in Norway would that be? Four months of snow a year seems pretty lot in these global warmin days...

;)

Attachments

• IMG_4787.jpg
    IMG_4787.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,093

ErikFive":p9nbgw0p said:
You better start going, but stripping paint is a pita. Haha.

Forgot seatpost and seat. Not sure here. I wan´t the seatpost to be all chrome, but without to much going on. Aka not some large decal taking focus off the bike. Low key. Might just find a very worn Syncros and sand it down and pollish and drop decals.

Seat I am not sure about. I guess most people would put a Flite on there and I have a couple of those, but I might just go for a Turbo.
I'm going with Ringle Moby post on mine. Everything is mostly silver w/ black.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=253814&start=74

Nice! I like the green ones. :)

Attachments

• 14322781_10154976043371686_103217387520515718_n.jpg
    14322781_10154976043371686_103217387520515718_n.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1,068

Got some cranks. CQP. I also have a pair of steel ones on the way, so I might go for them instead.

Shined them up a little.

Anyone have any idea how long axle I need for these on a Pro Floater? Anyone with a similar setup or know anyone you can ask? Since the bearings are pressed, I´d like to get it right the first time around. :)

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 950
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 950
Back