Ridgeback 701lx to 703dx

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
With reference to my other thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=346131 I thought that I'd do a build thread for the transition. Currently the frame and forks bars and stem are at the powder coaters and should be ready next week.

As per my wanted thread seat post, saddle, grips and tyres I have been advised not to use the carbon parts from Madison and as I will ride this I have taken the advice to heart and will use the original 701 seat post.

The first part on my wanted list turned up this morning :D £1 from eBay :LOL:

Attachments

• 20161010_134755.jpg
    20161010_134755.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,741
  • 20161012_140534.jpg
    20161012_140534.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,741
Mechs arrived this morning needing a bit of a clean and polish :D

Attachments

• 20161013_104506.jpg
    20161013_104506.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,682
Were they the same frame then for the 701, 703 and 704?

Be nice to see a Ridgeback get some attention. Don't see enough of them on here given how many folk got their start on them.

firedfromthecircus":4dutb8em said:
Were they the same frame then for the 701, 703 and 704?

Be nice to see a Ridgeback get some attention. Don't see enough of them on here given how many folk got their start on them.

Thankfully for me they did :) Your right not that many on here at all and they aren't bad at all it rides nice with a comfortable position hell even the spec that was on the LX worked just fine. I guess stigma may have something to do with it :D

Unfortunately the Madison grips stop you being able to change gear, they had to be changed out on bikes that were sold.
Here's a picture of my 703DX, if you need any closeup pics just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

20161014_151833.jpg

Just thought, if it hasn't been painted yet get the rear dropouts rebrazed. Many of these it was done so badly they fall out after a few years of hard use.

sickpup":3ttte9mu said:
Unfortunately the Madison grips stop you being able to change gear, they had to be changed out on bikes that were sold.
Here's a picture of my 703DX, if you need any closeup pics just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

20161014_151833.jpg

Thanks really appreciated. I could do with a picture of the decal below the prestige frame decal its the only one I missed getting a photo of :facepalm: . I going to have to hope my dropouts are Ok as its in the process of being done :shock: as for the grips I'll have to see how they fair for the time being, I have noticed on the DX shifters that the position can be adjusted. Just waiting for them to turn up along with the brakes. :D

You can actually see where my mech side rear dropout was repaired in that picture, I still haven't resprayed it.

The position of the shifter is adjustable back and forth but the grips are still too wide at that point unfortunately.

The two dots on the bottom of the sticker were Madisons trademark back in the day.

20161014_164836.jpg

firedfromthecircus":3j6qo6no said:

I agree with this. It also surprises me that there is no interest in things like the Trek 8000 in white as it was the biggest selling bike in its class for that year (1990 iirc)

Thanks for the photo Sickpup.

Hopefully between us we can start a Ridgeback revival. Is your 703 due for a facelift

Back