Harry Quinn

CTK

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Apologies for poor pic taken with A Nokia 5MP phone- phone has failed its photography test!

This is my daily commuter and occasional weekend ride.
Harry Quinn made from Reynolds 653.
Shimano Dura Ace with a 105 rear mech and brakes-
Rear mech soon to be replaced by a Dura-Ace 7402
Cinelli Bar/Stem
Vetta Ti Saddle
Kalloy Post HEAVY!(carbon one on its way)

Apparently Harry Quinn made some MTBs too???

Attachments

• quinn.jpg
    quinn.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,353
Quinn do still sell their own MTB frames.

Shop is down the road from me.

Different set-up now though after people died / left / merged etc.

Used to make lovely road frames (as yours looks to be) when it was Harry (later Alan I think).

Not frame-builders themselves anymore though.

A good friend of mine had a Harry Quinn MTB and loved it to bits, very jealous he was able to afford a custom machine...never seen another one though...

Rich

So he did make some... I saw a price list of custom frames H.Q was making on the net somewhere (cant find it now tho lol)

I love riding this bike so much that I would buy an mtb just on the off chance it would be half as good- and because this one is really beautifully put together!

wow you really dont see many of them buities these days it looks spotless matey top job your gonna have to put some more pics up :cool: :cool: my dad a quinn roadie i went near it once and once only followed by "DONT EVEN THINK OF BORROWING THAT TO GO OUT ON" shouted down the garden :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

cannondale king":2yaw7e0l said:
wow you really dont see many of them buities these days it looks spotless matey top job your gonna have to put some more pics up :cool: :cool: my dad a quinn roadie i went near it once and once only followed by "DONT EVEN THINK OF BORROWING THAT TO GO OUT ON" shouted down the garden :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

lol This actually came off my dad- I swopped it for a Klein Rascal which was a bit too small... it was originally metallic blue. Paint was battered so had it resprayed.

I've seen a few Quinns on ebay but they tend to be the older 531 models-

I saw an identical 653 model which the owner had clearly spent £££ getting restored (lovely red&white paintjob period correct Campag etc) go for £180 on ebay early this year- (didn't think it would go so cheap) I have a vain hope that it will be listed again :( that and the Aermet Dean that I could have had for £120 :( :( :(

I'll stick more pics up when I put the new rear mech on and new saddle& seatpost arrive.

Looks like a nice bike. Does it date from when he was building in South Wales? I think the original brand was sold off to one of the big bike 'makers' when Harry retired from the Liverpool shop and appeared on some awful 'el cheapo' bikes at some time around the late 70's (I think?). A friend had a real 'clunker' with all sorts of nasty gear on it but was very proud of it as he had heard that 'Harry Quinn' was a really good bike.

I have a feeling (but as usual could be wrong) that Harry was upset at this and so decided to get back into building again and make 'proper' Harry Quinns along with his son.

I had one in the mid 60's and did nearly all my best TT rides on it. I've got some pics (if anyone's interested?).

I built up a lovely old 60's Harry Quinn as a fixie - had to let it go but it was a really nicely built frame with original paint. Must have been cursed though, I spent 4 hours in casualty after it nearly chopped the end of my finger off and the buyer emailed at the weekend to say it threw him off and he had to go to hospital too to have his face fixed...

:shock:

clicky for Harry

Some HQ links in the above too.

It was a nice looking frame although I would say, looking at the lugs and fork crown, that it could be 70's rather than 60's. However, no gear lever bosses even though it has Campag rear ends. Was there a little stud under the down tube to stop a clamp-on lever from slipping?

Back