Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:32 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I think it was built in Pembrokeshire... I am not completely sure- I dont think he built in 653 before this but I have very little knowledge. Damn sure its not a cheapo tho! Quality and detailing is superb

:D

Post subject: Harry!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:18 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Marvellous - I'm not the only one using a 653 Harry for the daily commute! So this is how it feels like....when doves cry.

I'm a bit ashamed that I know nothing about his history though - I purchased it off this Forum's very own Simod, so he should be able to tell you all about that. Sim?

What I can say is that he's got Campag almost everything, apart from a Mavic front hub. And I've temporarily replaced the Campag seatpost with a cheap (but suitably long - Sim is a short-arthe compared to me) RaceFace post. Frame decals have got very dog-eared, but other than that he's the best-looked after bike I've ever owned.

And he's only happy going flat out. Try pootling along and he has a nasty habit of trying to send you through the nearest hedge.

Let's see if I can post a piccie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hear that? It's the slap of a gauntlet being thrown...come on CTK....get a better picture up mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

This is the best I could do- damn my poor photography skills!- Camera says too much white!

I've put on a Dura Ace rear mech and a flite saddle and deda seatpost since last pic-

By the way JC like yours alot- good colour scheme. Kind of thinking I should have been a bit more adventurous with my respray... had all sorts if schemes planned but resprays are expensive!

Attachments:
quinn2.jpg
quinn2.jpg [ 246.62 KiB | Viewed 2571 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:03 pm 
Old School Hero

Two nice HQ's there! 8)

As JC says, I owned his for a few years. It came into the bike shop i was working in as a trade in against, believe it or not a Spesh Allez - as soon as i saw it i had to have it.

And seeing the piccy of JC's, i'm now realizing where all the bits went i've been turning the garage upside down looking for........ :oops:

Post subject: Re: Harry!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 pm 
Retro Guru

JC wrote:
Sim is a short-arthe compared to me

Fecking hell, you'd be able to rest your pint on my head :?

I had a go on Simod's Ti mega the other day, i couldn't sit down on it as my feet wouldn't have touched the pedals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:36 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

How about heatshrink on the cables for that " old skool " white look?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:45 am 
Dirt Disciple

Nice one CTK, it's always worth getting a decent photo of your bike, just so you can look back at the white seat and bar tape and say to yourself: "WTF was I thinking?"

And since you say you've had yours resprayed - would you know where I could get some new decals?

Looking at the picture of my Harry (actually, I still think of it as Simod's) I'm wondering what he would look like with an Alejandro Valverde-style Spanish colours. Yellow bar tape, stem & cables?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Your paint looks immaculate- DO NOT get a respray!!! looks lovely mate. For the price of a respray you could find another 653/753 road frame on ebay-
Mine really needed a respray it was properly scratched all over.

I also have to say that since respray paint seems to chip a bit easily :?

Will go for an Argos Tank paint job next time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:09 am 
Dirt Disciple

Christ, there's no way I'm getting a respray - not sure where you got that idea from.

The only issue with it is the decals are peeling & flaking pretty badly - this doesn't show up in the photos luckily. It won't be too long before I'll be riding a "HAPPY OUINN"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next