1997 Ferraroli Performance

thekidmalone

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hello all,

I was lucky to get this one, as the classified ad disappeared while I was traveling on business overseas, and I only had a street address connected to it: no name, email or phone number.

I took a chance after returning home, and traveled there one Friday evening after work, hoping to find a single-family residence. Unfortunately, the building was part of a high-rise apartment complex, with a sea of doorbells.

The first person to notice me loitering in the entryway asked me who/what I was looking for. To my luck, it was the seller, who was on the way out the door for the weekend. Timing is everything.

The fuzzy phone snaps in this post reflect the condition in which I picked it up the following week. I commenced on a build more befitting a hand-made frame built with a combination of fillet-brazed, bilaminate and lugged construction methods.

Cheers,

The Kid

Attachments

• Profile.jpg
    Profile.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 901
  • Seat Tube Lug.jpg
    Seat Tube Lug.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 901
  • Dropout.JPG
    Dropout.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 900
  • BB Lug.jpg
    BB Lug.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 901
  • Head Tube.JPG
    Head Tube.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 902
Re:

Hello again,

Here are the "after" pictures.

The yellow saddle now belongs to another member of this forum, and will be replaced by a black one, unless I find some grey Onza Ules grips to match my grey Flite. Anyone holding?

Also, just as I got the final pieces into play, the fork sprung a serious leak. Any leads to a seal set /rebuild kit would be highly appreciated.

I think the fork was already low on oil before it started leaking more quickly, as it topped out rather loudly on the very few rides I took before the long re-build process.

Now that this one is (nearly) finished, perhaps I will take on another one which presents more of a challenge...

Cheers,

The Kid

Attachments

• HT.jpg
    HT.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 890
  • ST Lug B.JPG
    ST Lug B.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 889
  • SS ST.jpg
    SS ST.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 889
  • Rear 3 4.jpg
    Rear 3 4.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 891
  • Profile B.jpg
    Profile B.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 891
Re:

Wow :cool:
I didn't know that Ferraroli gave up the lugs for filled braze his frame.
The seat tube is carbon fiber wrapped and works as a spring for giving a little rear suspension

Re:

that's one very blue bike you have there :cool: its kinda like an electric Blue

those rear stays sure must put some stress on the middle of the seat tube, but look cool never the less

As for the forks
there is only one port of call for the forks and that's Dr_Marzocchi :D

he's a member on here kraeMit but also contactable on

JABBER: Call me on Jabber IM: kraeMit@alpha-labs.net
www: http://dr-marzocchi.projectweb.de/

all the best

Re: Re:

24pouces":2zqdpi32 said:
Wow :cool:
I didn't know that Ferraroli gave up the lugs for filled braze his frame.
The seat tube is carbon fiber wrapped and works as a spring for giving a little rear suspension

:oops: ^^^ you answered whilst I was typing and answered my question on the unusual design

an education as ever ! :cool:

Re:

Thanks for the referral to Dr. Marzocchi, Retro Spud. I will get in contact, and see what magic he can work. I have access to some NOS replacement forks locally, but would hate to lose the original color & decals.

24pouces, do you have documentation regarding the reinforced seat tube? My research indicates that it might be a glass fiber wrap, instead of a carbon fiber wrap.

There is one in England with rather severe damage to the rear triangle, which has been seen before on this forum. If I get the chance to try and save it, I will likely discover first hand, but I'd like to know in theory what's where before I start stripping paint and/or applying heat.

Enjoy some weekend riding, or if the weather doesn't cooperate, some quality time in the shed with your ongoing projects.

Cheers,
T.K.

Re: Re:

thekidmalone":2jeyob9c said:
24pouces, do you have documentation regarding the reinforced seat tube? My research indicates that it might be a glass fiber wrap, instead of a carbon fiber wrap.

There is one in England with rather severe damage to the rear triangle, which has been seen before on this forum. If I get the chance to try and save it, I will likely discover first hand, but I'd like to know in theory what's where before I start stripping paint and/or applying heat.

No more docs about it. I read something about that bike in a magazine. I don't remember if it was glass or carbon fiber. they speak about composite in the article.
I didn't know if Ferraroli made bike until 1997. I would say early than that year 95 or 96. I thought that Marzocchi sild the first Bomber in 97 and stopped their old XC500 production ( but perhaps I'm wrong...)

For the Ferraroli softail in UK, ask to Cchris2lou ;)

Ghosty":17dz1p0h said:
Yellow Flite...

I wonder if al-onestare bought it for his 97 team Explosif.

He certainly did! Big thanks to the kid and what a wicked bike he has.

Re:

By the serial number codes I have observed and collected, and from chatting with the head of a family in La Chaux-de-Fonds who still owned five (all owned from new and bought direct) Ferrarolis as of a year ago, I am relatively certain that they were still made into 1997, and perhaps even into early 1998. Near the end, it appears that the final few may have been made in Ticino, not in Canton Neuchatel.

In regards to the XC600/700 forks, it wouldn't be the first time that Ferraroli kept buying, or bought the last remaining quantities of, "obsolete" items to continue producing what they believed in: Cinelli fork crown lugs, Nitto bullmoose handlebars, Shimano threaded 1" headsets and many more.

Thanks!
The Kid

Back