1991 GT Zaskar - barn find

Factory Jackson

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Was chatting to a mate last night about my love of old bikes and he mentioned he had an old GT frame lying around in one of his barn and asked me to have a look.

I've offered to see if a new lease of life can be breathed into it.

It's been sat in the barn for years and this is it pretty much as I picked it up.

Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr

Obviously no decals on it, but from what I have looked into mainly from threads on here, as it's a 1991 US made Zaskar.

Am I correct to assume from the frame number that is was the 326th made in Jan 1991?
This would put it as a very early model.
And I would guess at a 16" frame?
Anyone suggest otherwise?

The plan at the moment is to clean the frame up and check for any cracks. If all clear spend some time and effort polishing then probably contact Gil to work his magic on some new decals.

After that, speak to my friend to see if he wants to go down the route of a full original parts re-build.

Hope you like.
cheers
Chris

I love seeing a good barn find and this one seems really promising going off the pics their doesn't appear to be any unwanted cracks in the frame so fingers crossed theirs nothing unwanted hiding beneath all that grime ..

I don't think it would be a Pantera in 91 but of course 091XXX usually means a 92 model which would make it possible. It could be a Team Avalanche but I would guess Zaskar. Clean the frame and see if you can find the aluminum designator. 6061 would indicate Zaskar. To PaintedDesert and Sean's point, check the seatpost, BB and headtube closely prior to putting in a lot of elbow grease but it looks to be intact and worth restoring. 91/92s are pretty desirable and if its a Zaskar the ball burnish should shine up nicely and spending a little coin on some clean u-brakes would be worth it IMO. Cool find!

As a Jan 1991 frame I'm also thinking it would be unlikely to be a Pantera.
While investigating, some have mentioned that the headtube gusset on the Pantera's is also more curved than found on the Zaskar.
Early Zaskar's don't appear to have a aluminium material stamp on either which doesn't help matters.
My friend who owns it recalls the original owner back in the 90's and at that time had Zaskar graphics. I doubt back then someone would have changed decals over; though I may be wrong.

I've gone through and checked all the obvious areas for cracks and nothing to report - pheww.
Seatpost came out no problem.

One thing that I did discover though, was that when removing the rear mech it has been helicoiled. Not so much of a frame killer though.

Anyway, all been cleaned ready to start polishing.

Threw some old RS Mag forks on and some wheels to give me an idea what it'll look like.

And a test to see what it'll come up like which some elbow grease. Came back to a shine really easily.

cheers
Chris

Wow! now that looks just great and i'm really pleased to see that their are no major issue's to worry about :cool: ..

Back