How it all started.

Spanky22b

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
This has been on the back burner for to long now with other projects jumping the queue.

Denton cycles 1988 my dream bike is in the shop a Marin Pinemountain,i wonder if Santa will bring me one for Christmas,answer nope :shock:

Jump to Christmas 1989 and Santa must of forgot to stop at Denton Cycles when he was passing Newcastle to pick up my splatter paint Explosif,don't know why i sent him plenty of begging letters :)

Fast forward to Christmas 1990,Santa did stop at Dentons this time and dropped off my first ever mountain bike a Muddy Fox Pathfinder :D not quite an Explosif but still my first ever mtb.
Hollywell Dene became the place to ride with no hill to big to go down or up.
Trying to ride down all the stairs from Tynemouth Castle to Whitley Promenade without braking your neck :LOL:
And then sadly someone thought they'd rather have my bike instead of me owning it and it was never seen again :evil: So now it's time to relive my youth again and build my replacement Pathfinder :D

Plans for the build i'm not going period catalogue correct rather how would it evolved if it hadn't been nicked and i could've spent my pocket money on it.

Attachments

• IMAG3289_1.jpg
    IMAG3289_1.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 2,236
  • IMAG3290_1.jpg
    IMAG3290_1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2,236
Re:

ahhhhhhh.....You always remember your first bike, so build it original, or with the parts to woulda upgraded too..... where ya going?

RBG

Re: Re:

retrobikeguy":k7zzob18 said:
ahhhhhhh.....You always remember your first bike, so build it original, or with the parts to woulda upgraded too..... where ya going?

RBG

He's already said where he's going with it ,,

Spanky22b":k7zzob18 said:
Plans for the build i'm not going period catalogue correct rather how would it evolved if it hadn't been nicked and i could've spent my pocket money on it.

Nice one mate as i 100% understand why you want to build this as i'm doing my Raleigh for the exact same reason and i just luv that colour as it just awesome :cool: ..

Re:

What i remember of the bike and browsing through the scans of the original catalogue it was all suntour.
I remember some of my mates being jealous because i had 21 gears and they still had 18 speed on there bikes. Remember thinking it was so cool having three extra gears and trigger shifters :LOL:

I always wanted the self energising Suntour brakes because they claimed they were the most powerful cantilevers you could get. Hearing things like that made me want them so they should turn up tomorrow in the post,just need some matching fronts.

That flite saddle will be staying,i've had that since way way back in the day plus they were the must have saddle around the time.
I won't be going with any XT because my Saturday job at that time helping delivering fruit and veg couldn't of funded expensive parts like that but could maybe save up for some DX at a push :)

I remember going from 15 gears on an old bso to 18 gears on my Explorer so i know how good that felt when you uped from 18-21 :cool: but unlike you i went from friction shifters to duel friction/indexed thumbies ...

I often wondered what all the fuss was about when the self energising Suntour brakes were like when they 1st came out as i'd never known any one that had used them tbh but if that's what your having then you can update me on that score but more importantly you'll be getting what you lusted after bitd :cool: ..

Any way i look forward to seeing yours when they arrive ;) ..

Flite saddles have a huge fan base yet i've never owned one :eek: as brooks was my old favourite bitd and it seem to go from bike to bike each time i got another one until the last bike i fitted it to was sold then i cursed after i'd realised what i'd done :facepalm: :cry: so i know what it's like having a favourite saddle :cool: so stick with it as even a new Flite won't feel as good ...

Well DX does sound the way to go as you quite rightly say that XT would've been out of reach for you back then but one of the threads the other day i basically came across a comment stating the lack of quality of the DX groupset or somthing on those lines but seen as i've never used DX before i can't be sure how true it is unfortunately ..

Those tyres :facepalm: are every where i seem to look since i fitted a pair to my Courier yesterday :LOL: ..

Re:

It's amazing what my tardis boxes keep unearthing,digging around i found some Suntour xc pro brake levers and thumbshifters. So even though i wouldn't have been able to afford them back then,they look good and fit in with the nos suntour xc self energizing cantilevers,bargain for £7.50. I'll try and find some matching xc front cantilevers and that's the brakes sorted.

Going with Araya rims with Shimano Deore DX hubs with some Ritchey world cup tyres and a HG70 cassette to complete the rolling duties.

For the mechs i've gone with a nos Deore LX on the front just need a matching rear now.

I'm enjoying this build :)

Attachments

• IMAG3401_1.jpg
    IMAG3401_1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMAG3395_1.jpg
    IMAG3395_1.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMAG3397_1.jpg
    IMAG3397_1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMAG3406_1.jpg
    IMAG3406_1.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMAG3404_2_1.jpg
    IMAG3404_2_1.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMAG3402_1.jpg
    IMAG3402_1.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMAG3396_1.jpg
    IMAG3396_1.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 1,819
  • IMAG3403_1.jpg
    IMAG3403_1.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 1,819
Woah! looking good indeed Spanky :cool: and i'm glad you've got Araya rim's on as their so in keeping with the Muddy Fox history and those Energizing brake's really do go well with the setup :) .

Those tyre's really do look purposeful but other than that i have no idea what their like to use and those brake lever's look the business and glad to see they have the covers fitted as for me i think they'd look a bit lacking without tbh ..

Back