1988 Specialized Rockhopper Sport

fishyfool

Dirt Disciple
Here's my '88 Rockhopper Sport.
Bought it new and rode the wheels off of it.
picked up a '90 stumpy with a destroyed frame and it donated it's parts to the 'Hopper.
28527a3ec4.jpg

285252312d.jpg

2851d4d45b.jpg

28515837b3.jpg

2851f8dd29.jpg

28512e38a1.jpg

Got a 1989 (I think, base paint is black with celeste splatter) Bianchi Super Grizzly as well if anyone's interested in looking.

Re:

Think that's a 1990. Poss '91.

They didn't make a sport in 88, only a rocky and a comp.

Lovely colour though. :cool:

Re: Re:

Augustus:v5zsg7uv said:
Think that's a 1990. Poss '91.

They didn't make a sport in 88, only a rocky and a comp.

Lovely colour though. :cool:
Check the U-Brakes. 1987 and 1988 were the only years, and I bought that one new

Last edited:
Re:

Interesting. Agree, didn't see U brakes.

Perhaps it's been re-decaled? Those are not '87 or 88 decals. And I think Direct Drive appeared later.

Could it be an 87 Stumpjumper re-badged? Or a re- decaled '88 Rockhopper Comp?

It's Denucci Green (the best Spesh colour IMO) as was the 87' Stumpy and 88' Rockhopper Comp.

Funky LP Composites seatpost on that Rockhopper too - don't see so many of those about.

That bike takes me back. Between about 1994-97 I had a Rockhopper that must have been a very similar year to this. I changed all the original parts pretty quickly so my memory of them is hazy but I think it was all Suntour (X-Press shifters). I always wondered what year that bike was - it was mustard yellow (matching colour forks that eventually cracked on both sides near the bosses) with burgundy decals - maybe Augustus can help identify? :)

Re: Re:

Augustus":1xkc2jti said:
Interesting. Agree, didn't see U brakes.

Perhaps it's been re-decaled? Those are not '87 or 88 decals. And I think Direct Drive appeared later.

Could it be an 87 Stumpjumper re-badged? Or a re- decaled '88 Rockhopper Comp?

It's Denucci Green (the best Spesh colour IMO) as was the 87' Stumpy and 88' Rockhopper Comp.
Same frame as a rockhopper comp, much lower Exage component group, Araya Wheels with Exage hubs, Ground Control tires.
Seen this?
http://www.mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

Back