Paint By Numbers - '93 Yeti ARC

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
So, yes, I know, it's the old cliche of finding your unicorn and the Yeti ARC seems to be a fair few people's unicorns, and why should it not be? It's iconic. The only way I could see myself getting an ARC was by getting a cracked one and have Frank restore it for me, cue: Jeff AKA sidekick416 coming to my rescue. This was a fair few years ago, to cut a long story short I asked Jeff to send the frame directly to Frank, far cheaper than sending it half way around the globe the twice!

So here's the before picture:

Yeti%20ARC%20Before.JPG-01_zpsitptm7a6.jpeg

The frame had a cracked seat tube and headtube which Frank replaced:

20130212_103259-01_zpstdjkbya3.jpeg

20130212_103305_zpsgu1o3cc8.jpeg

A while later Frank got to grips with the restoration, it was scary to watch it unfold as he took the busted tubes off the frame:

Yeti%20ARC%20Frank-01_zpsm0mcdujl.jpeg

Alas he's the ultimate of metallurgical magicians and soon enough it was ready for paint:

Yeti-01_zpsdspfh4bp.jpeg

Yes, the frame size has been dropped a little bit, that was Frank's artistic license, and the fact I have inherited stubby legs from my dad!

At this point there was a long wait between the frame being ready to go to Spectrum and them doing the paint job as I have a bike team to run and that was taking all my spare cash! Took a fair while to save the required small fortune for Spectrum to sort the frame out and during that time I was agonising over the actual paint job itself. In the 90's I longed for the team's turquoise and yellow, however I fancied something a little different, I considered a turquoise front with a white rear but this would have clashed with my predominantly purple parts, and that was my decision made for me, yellow and purple, perfect:

SNB11469%201.JPG-01_zpshvzruqbl.jpeg

SNB11470%201.JPG-01_zps5y2dgs0t.jpeg

I had been hoarding parts for this build long before I had found the frame, it all tied in nicely with a purple, silver and black build, with just a smidge of turquoise:

20160706_195201-1_zpskbddoa8k.jpg

I had a couple of issues with the bottom bracket and the Topline cranks, it was a complete pain in the arse to get the right axle length. In the end I purchased a cheap used Royce BB and then sent it to Cliff along with my crankset for him to take measurements and sort it all out for me, the result is a perfect fit, but what a right old faff on!

I don't have any build photos as I was too lazy.... I will pop the full build on the next update for you all.......

So here we go with the final build:

Frame: Yeti ARC 1993

Fork: Manitou 4

Headset: Chris King No-Logo
Stem: Ringle Zooka
Handlebar: Answer Taperlite
Grips: Yeti

Brakes: Paul Component Stop Lites
Brake Pads: Kool Stop
Brake Cables: Gore Ride-On
Cantilever cable hangers: Ringle Mojo
Brake Levers: Real

Shifters: XT Thumbies
Front Derailleur: XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR
Cassette: XTR M900
Chain: Modern SRAM, forgive me!
Cranks: Topline
Crank Bolts: Royce
Chainrings: Shimano SG
Chainring bolts: Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Royce
Pedals: Shimano M737

Hub Skewers: Ringle Holey Ti-Stix
Rims: HED XC
Hubs: RIngle
Nipples: DT Swiss
Spokes: DT Swiss
Tyres: IRC Yeti FRO

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Ringle
Seatpost Binder: Ringle Holey

20160922_181302-01_zpstnhmxzi4.jpeg

20160922_181317-01_zpsijdgob25.jpeg

20160922_181332-01_zpscy6ztica.jpeg

20160922_181348-01_zpsgvzh7osp.jpeg

20160922_181400-01_zpsfhlu2cqu.jpeg

Now I need to go and get it muddy at Hamsterley Forest!

Lee.

:shock: :cool: very nice, that looks well worth the effort

Mark

Re:

Finally! ;)
Superb colour and build, love the details like the blue mojo and rollamijig matching the blue on the Manitous.

Wonder what it would look like with Magura Racelines?

Well I must confess I didn't like the paint job on the naked frame. However I will happily admit to being wrong as the combined colours on the completed bike looks spot on. Great Job!

Nice job Lee...Really like the paint scheme. I'm sure I have a pair of spare Manitou 3 legs if interested which would be more in keeping with a 93'. Let me know if your interested.

Back