Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:28 pm 
Retro Guru

Cool, glad it turned up alright. For the record I love the spokes!
Why you going for a Masterpiece post? Got too much money left over from the sale????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:40 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

South bond wrote :

Quote:
Why you going for a Masterpiece post

Purely to drop some of the lard from the bike fella, and the price is good too if ordered from the guys at aspire fella.. :wink: Yea I think the spokes work well, like neil said, they look better in the 'flesh' , thanks for the offer of assistance on this one too fella. hope the good lady is well :wink: :)

LardLover wrote :

Quote:
if only you were looking for red and silver components, I know someone that will have a full set of King bits, in red, and silver Thomson finishing bits in silver. Oh, and silver rims to match the silver components

Might sort something out with you on these fella, for the next project :wink: , give you a ring tomorrow dude.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:24 pm 
Retro Guru

So, how much does it weigh? My Fisher Cake with 5 inches of travel weighs 26 3/4 pounds now, down from 29 or so to begin with. I added carbon bars, carbon seatpost, lighter saddle, and light tubeless tires to bring the weight down without compromising strength.

Post subject: Weight
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I would ditch the Pikes and through axle Si, probably save 3 pounds or more with a decent air fork there. Lighter cranks too, carbon or Ti bars and some lighter rubber too? Also for trail duties smaller discs? But the Easton stem, is it a 70? if so U won't save any weight with a Thomson! U need a KCNC to save a decent mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:38 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Not as elegant as the T-Max, but that sure looks like a very capable bike! Interesting wheels, never seen them before. So nowadays spokes come in turquiose and Yetis in black. Where have I been the last decade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:41 pm 
BANNED USER
BANNED USER

I am not sure on the weight as yet, I estimate it to be around the 28lb mark, , which is really heavy after being so used to superlight hardtails..

I quite like the Pikes on it phil, may change and go for some fox's , the stem is a 100mm MG60 (retro :wink: ) just put this on to assess the length of stem needed before I buy a lighter unit.. Cranks will be upgraded , and have my eye on something rather nice but costs £ 600+ :shock: but may just go for some new M971s and keep the superlight stuff for the next project :wink: I have to say Phil I dont like the KCNC stuff. not saying its bad just not for me,, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:36 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

8)
They are great bikes, you'll enjoy it. It'll behave like a XC bike, then open your mind to its capabilities :shock:
I quite like them wheels, but i'm not swapping my Kings for them :lol:

Slight hijack. Whats this about Lardlover selling the Moots? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Follow on hijack (sorry Si :oops: )

P20 wrote:

Slight hijack. Whats this about Lardlover selling the Moots? :(

Yup, selling the Moots. I've lost confidence in it, no idea why it would split at the headtube, neither do Moots for that matter. I know the frame will have been thoroughly checked by Moots before leaving, but, I don't know, I think I'd be riding it with always having one eye on the bike and listening for creaks rather than enjoying it. PLUS, after having the loan of elma's RM Blizzard I now know I much prefer the ride of steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:57 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Sad it wasn't what you were expecting, or the events that have lead to your decision. :(
Interesting that you prefer the ride of steel.
Slightly back on topic,(and in relation to your Moots debate) i cracked the carbon swing arm on the 575, which they replaced, it hasn't bothered me at all. I still have complete confidence in the bike. Then again its not a Moots and its therefore not a keeper, it'll be upgraded at some point, probably for another Yeti :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:52 pm 
Retro Guru

The Rigor Mootis is a very rigid ride, more like aluminium IME. I was a little dissappointed when I first took it out, I was expecting something "special" but couldn't seem to find it. Downhill, on twisty singletrack stuff it excelled, it held a line beautifully. It certainly wasn't as comfy as the Cotic I got rid off :(

Whilst you're there P20, do you ride Hamsterly much? enough to guide? It's been years since I've ridden there and would love to go back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next