Return of the Apex

Jaggs

Dirt Disciple
So I'm going to tell you a tale of woe, and one of happiness.

In 1992, I was in a minimum wage job where I had to cycle 6 miles to get there. I was an absolute cycling addict at the time, and had an old Raleigh Marauder, resplendent in bits I had begged, borrowed or 'borrowed' to upgrade it.

And then I snapped the frame.

I managed to scrape together some money, and including monthly payments, got my first ever new bike. I was very matey with the local bike shop, and got one of the very first bikes in a new series, a Raleigh Apex. My closest biking mate got the Raleigh summit (with RockShox).

I had it for 6 months before it got nicked. At the time I was genuinely heartbroken.

And then a couple of months ago, after finding this site, and after a random search, I found this on gumtree:

One, tall, lady owner. It looked like it had some rust, but it was used, in only good ways. Her husband still had the 'Peak' from the same range. She really did love the bike, but couldn't use it anymore, so wanted it to go to a good home.

It had been regularly service, and actually, apart from needing a few things doing, was in ok, working order.

I've replaced the saddle, tyres, seatpost, swapped the 501 handlebar for an alu one, replaced the rotten 400LX canti's for a spare set of Deore DX I have from my Marin Eldridge Grade, gave it a clean, and here it is:

Now ready for me to cart my son around on, until he can ride a bike on his own. I am so chuffed to have one of these again.

I will soon post pics of the rejuvenated Marin Eldridge Grade (96) which replaced the 92 Marin Eldridge Grade which replaced the Apex.

Bike heaven.

Well done and a nice story. And one which has been repeated time and again on RB.

I've yet to find another 21" lime green clockwork from 1999. Its only been 6 or 7 years now :LOL:

My Raleigh Ravine is kind of a replacement but not like for like as i had a Raleigh Ace road bike stolen back in 84 which i'd bought off a mate while on a Youth training scheme programme but last year one of the members on here was doing a 89 kona project bike which i really liked any way i ended up buying it off him but when i went to pick it up he also offered me the chance or the Ravine frame as Karma which i decided to just build up as a hack bike originally which you'll see from the pics on my bike thread ..

Yes i bet you were heartbroken when your Apex was stolen as i know i was and any how glad to see your sad story turn good even if it was a long time after the unfortunate event and i bet you got a bit excited having the chance of getting another one ;) ..

Back