Raleigh Dyna-Tech Encounter 1991

steveb73

Retro Newbie
Hi, my first post here!!!

I got the bike back in 1991 for £473 after seeing a Dyna-Tech Sentinel in the window of Samways Cycles in Derby. It saw a fair bit of use up until the late 1990's and then got put away in the garage with a missing front wheel and a broken break and shifter pod. But other than that it's mostly original and in good condition and I even have the old paperwork, brochures and sales receipt for it.

About a month ago I decided to bring it out of retirement for road use. So I picked up a pair of nice STX break/shifters from ebay, a new bottom bracket and a lovely pair of silver Mavic M231 wheels from Jimo746 on here. Now all it needs are some brake blocks and Schwalbe City Jet tyres and it'll be back on the road just in time for it's 25th birthday!!!!

Enjoy the pics.

That's kinda funny, 'cause I've got a minty '94 KHS Montana Pro in about the same blue color as your bike's blue, that I put some Schwalbe Marathons onto, a Ti-mounted road seat, and some quik-detach riding lites ... which bike I use as my road bike for longer pavement excursions ... and I absolutely love it!

Great bike for a conversion ...

KHS....... I'd totally forgotten until I read your post that my cousin built up a KHS frame a few years after I got this! I wonder if he's still got it?
The main reason I want this as a road only bike is because of it's infamous "bonded" frame. I'll try and treat it gently so it doesn't un-glue itself!!!
I'm really looking forward to riding it again for the first time in 15 years!

After a long delay I finally got to take the Encounter out for the first time in 15 years!!!
I decided to fund the part re-build by selling old bike parts. Every time I sold something, I bought something. It took a while but was well worth it. Other than seat and cable adjustments it was perfect, very smooth with no creeks or strange noises coming from the bonded frame!!!

Everything is original except, Mavic M231 rims, Schwalbe City Jet 1.95 tyres, Shimano STX brake/shifters, Kool Stop Eagle 2 dual compound brake pads, SDG Bel Air saddle and a Brand-X 6061 seatpost.

I've got no plans for riding off road as I don't want to stress the joints on the frame so that's why it's got semi-slick tyres. I also put on the original (never used) reflectors just for the winter. As soon as it starts getting brighter, they'll be off!!!

Enjoy.

I wouldn't worry about stressing it, there's a number of these on here that see regular off road action including some that get raced at event with historic classes. Frame failure on Dynatechs is a rare occurence and the only Raleighs that tend to fail are the cheaper early K2 series that fail at the seatstays to seatpost joint. I'm sure you'll soon get anal about having it original and be on the hunt for some XT or DX shifters/levers too. I always liked the Voyager and Endeavor but then I was running Campag BITD and was a sucker for the little known.

Carl.

Thanks for that! I also wanted one of the upper end Dynatechs but I was saving up for a VW Beetle (I did get one!) so I chose the Encounter instead. I took it out again today and couldn't be happier with it so I've got no complaints with my choice!!!

The frame wasn't something I'd worried about until I started reading things on the internet. I just thought whatever type of glue they'd used to bond the joints might have degraded over time but I'm sure it's going to be fine.

I've still got one of the original deore shifter/brake leavers so I was wondering about finding another to match it. The STX ones are obviously from a few years later and although they perform flawlessly, they are heavy and slightly painful when trying to shift. Are DX and XT's lighter? I might have to start searching for a pair!!!!

Thanks again.

Back