Yet another Abominable Snowman FRO Pro*

ragnarock

Retro Guru
Long time lurker, sometime buyer and seller, posting this up as thanks to those who've contributed along the way.
I've got 99.5% of the components, and am slowly building this up so will post as I go along.

It all started about a little over a year ago when a late night bourbon fueled auction site session netted me a steel FRO Pro, which like the abominable snowman, is very rarely seen in a man sized 22" seat tube.

Some pictures to start it off, stories to come.

1_zpsyvsve5b4.jpg

5_zpszi5rvyul.jpg

3_zpsmnazf63a.jpg

6_zpstfpzyi5i.jpg

Re:

Dude that's one fecking big "Mike Muz" sized frame you have there....

Love to know your build plans, and Kudos to yah and your brand choice

Cool :cool:!

What year was that gate made ;)?

Looking forward to seeing this progress, could very well be somewhat inspirational to me..!

Re:

Cool and interesting frame. Seat tube isn't sleeved and the guides aren't riveted. Pretty early to have the "Pro" designation.

It is indeed an interesting frame... The decals are not standard, though they were factory supplied.
Once it arrived I set about mulling what to do with regards a fork and also making sense of when/how it came to be.

With regards to fork I wanted an accutrax, but getting one that was long enough for the 6" headtube proved difficult, especially in 1-1/4".
I accumulated various 1.25" stems and headsets in various guises, but no fork.

Manitous were an option, but having ridden on rubber bung forks in the early 90's I didn't really have much desire to do it again.
I bought a steel legged Pace RC30 fork. It had a nice Manitou-like machined AL crown. I figured i would Yetify them by painting the legs in Turq, and seeing as it was now residing in the UK maybe a little new/old world interaction was justifiable. I mulled some more and decided there was nothing else to do but contact a welder extraordinaire:

frank2_zpsqvp3cr1r.jpg

While Frank was busy welding, I went back to figuring out what to make of the frame. It had no visible serial number.

The auction listing noted the following about my awesome frame:

"Here's a very rare and awesome frame for you taller riders. This is a 1992ish Yeti Pro FRO custom made for a taller rider. I bought this from the original owner, and his explanation was this:

In 1991, he was semi sponsored by (more likely friends with) the Yeti team. He wanted to race an ARC but was concerned that he was too big for the 20" frame, so he had a steel Pro FRO welded up. In 91-92, Yeti had just begun using the double butted Tange tubing instead of the heavy Patco tubing. This frame measures 21.5" center to center and has a 23.5" top tube, making it a bit bigger than the standard 20" Large frames Yeti usually made.

I don't know if any of that is true, but this frame does have the rare lighter dropout normally found on team frames (as opposed to the solid plates) and the frame decals are similar to team bikes of the time. 1-1/4" headtube, 26.8mm seatpost, 68mm bottom bracket...just like all other Yetis of the period."

I asked some questions to the seller who added:

The original owner introduced himself as Skip but I never did get a last name. He was about 45 or so, looked like he'd been riding bikes his whole life. I didn't pry any further, but had no reason not to believe him.

I forwarded that to Frank who had little think.

"The way John advertised the products was to hand them out to various "professionals" be it high profile lawyers, the wealthy or professional athletes. He paid carpenters to do renovations with bikes. We did have a Skip at the shop but he is a small dude but no one else stands out. The only time someone would get custom geometry is if they were a professional cyclist and couldn't ride our standard, somewhat slack geometry."

He asked me to send some more detailed photos and followed up with:

The frame is unique for sure. The seat tube binder welded on is also something we usually didn't do. The story seems pretty logical. Are you planning a respray? The only reason for no serial number was that it was passed on to someone without the owners of Yeti being involved. All the BB shells that came into the building had serial numbers unless they came in the pocket or lunch bag of a worker. Once it's built you may find that the seat tube angle is 73 and steeper than normal. If you have an angle finder you can compare the seat and head angle.

The other option is, from time to time someone (like me) would put a BB shell in reversed. We would re-tap correctly but put it in the blem rack for trades etc. If you remove the paint you may see some digits on the top of the BB shell. it's not a flaw and won't cause problems but it's not "proper" so wasn't sold retail.

The main yeti decal is of the style that appears in the '93 catalog so it's looks to be from round about then.

1993_zpszz4eo2uu.jpg

I did have the frame stripped and recoated. No serial number was to be found anywhere. Hence, the asterisk in the thread title. I think Skip's FRO may very well be an after hours special. Regardless. It's perfect for my long legs so I'm exceedingly happy.

A few months later a brown box showed up from Frank with a brand new Yeti Design, FTW manufactured Accutrax and peace descended on my frought mind.
Next up. Bits and bobs and asterisks.

box_zpsntluvidy.jpg

DSC_2324%20Medium_zpsuddfbfse.jpg

With a frame and fork to hand the question turned to how to glue it all together.
With an oddball frame at hand I felt a bit more at peace building this the way I wanted rather than a fully purist approach. I've dabbled in a bit of repro where required, and sometimes I've gone a year up or down to achieve what I want, but the keyword has remained era correct (with one asterisk attached.)

Of the Yeti's I've observed in the wilds of the internet there are two successful build routes.

One is the quiet majestic route with minimal decals and respect, allowing the Turquoise paint to do the speaking.
This is Silverfish's. What a beautiful frame and great build!

FRO-87-1%20Custom_zpszulcm8pv.jpg

The other is the factory racer look, such as Juli Furtado's 1990 FRO

furtado%20Custom_zpsylivneci.jpg

and Rumpfy's Tomac'y restoration of a 1991 FRO.

silverfishc_zpsxxshtbjw.jpg

Reticence is a large part of my day job, Yeti unleash me!
Pictures of bits and bobs coming next.

M730 XT seems to be the defacto groupset for most Yeti builds.
I do love my thumbies but 1992 was the intro year of XTR, and in my 1.25" shopping spree I had netted myself a NOS XTR HP-M902 headset. With that as the starting point, a full groupset started to come together:

FD-M900 Front Mech
BR-M900 Brakes
RD-M910 Rear Mech - It was very tidy
SP-M910 Seatpost - It's silver
ST-M900 STI shifters/levers
M900 Hubset laced to Mavic M231 rims with M900 Skewers.

IMAG0974%20Custom_zpskxeh3p6m.jpg

IMAG0972%20Custom_zps1ydedtvn.jpg

IMAG0977%20Custom_zpse8pqtdbs.jpg

Frame comes back from powdercoaters. RAL5018 - Yeti Turquoise.

IMAG0645%20Custom_zps1rhplr1v.jpg

1993... I had some horrible coloured clothes then. :facepalm:
Time to pay a little homage to that too:

IMAG0970%20Custom_zpslbymczun.jpg

IMAG0969%20Custom_zpsdiurxg2o.jpg

IMAG0971%20Custom_zpstntbiyeq.jpg

Back