1993 Kona Hot - Red fade.

romanrinos

Kona Fan
Start of summer, I managed to buy this 19" Tom Teasdale Hot, shipped from the US with a custom paint fade from 93'.

It came with P2 forks and Velocity Stem from 94' and a Control Centre headset - believed all part of the first owner's original build.

Frame has quite a bit of chain wear to the rear triangle but otherwise no dents; will be retaining the original paint, blowing in a paint to the chips where needed to match and use Farecla G3 to remove scratched lacquer.

Build will either include some XC500 forks or P2s. Special thanks to Duke, Steve_T, Shawn and Regan for their help so far in assembling parts. Will post more as I get on.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 5,224
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 5,212
  • IMG_0308-1.JPG
    IMG_0308-1.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 5,214
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 5,213
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 5,214
Re:

Nice! Always good to see a Hot on here. It terms of spec you could order pretty much any combination of parts as far as I know, so don't be afraid to mix it up a bit - if it's period it should still look well.

Out of interest what's the frame number on this one? I'm curious to see where it sits between the '95 that I own, and the '91 that I used to have.

Good work so far - I'll look forward to seeing updates :)

Re: 93' Kona Hot by TET

Always good to see, what I assume (not knowing the SN), is a Teasdale Hot. I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of the paint scheme but it should still be a quality ride and you're giving it some nice components. I'm looking forward to seeing it built up.

Re:

Thanks for the all the comments. I agree - when I first saw it, I wasn't grabbed initially by the colour-scheme either, but it was a chance to own a limited hand-built frame (as a Kona fan) and there certainly aren't many about or documented; apart from the rear chainstay, the original paint is also in remarkable condition.

Since owning over the last month, however, I've really come to love it (it's a bit like marmite)
Part of that is fuelled by the challenge about how to lift it, and build something exacting of the period (such as with XC Pro and Kalloy layback-seat post of the 93' Explosifs) but also unique, such as a black 92' velocity stem and matching original P2 forks, dark araya anodised rims and a black seat post - or going 100% catalogue original with marzocchi suspension.

For me, right now, the key is to switch out the 94' forks; the colour scheme will never be to everyones taste but serves as a distinct alternative to the Hei Hei's, Explosifs, or Kilaueas already out there.

I'm hoping selecting the right mix of components should transform it still further.

Re:

So the transatlantic parcel thats been out on the road for a whole month finally arrived ..

Thank you Mr. T for amazing communication, great packaging and for parting with these nice bits. Feels a bit like christmas come early :xmas-wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 4,783
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 4,785
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,786
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 4,785
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 4,780
Re:

Good to see the parts arrived safe and sound!
I'm going to miss that stem I think, you don't see too many.

Re:

Been a while since I posted an update but still been keeping an eye out for parts I need.
Latest buy has been a brand new Sugino outer chainring to replace those on the Mighty XP cranks shown here. Still looking for a fresh XTR rear mech and a Joe Murray Brake booster to finish it off.

Today I've been out giving the framework some tlc with some G3 to carefully polish out some of the scratches - which really works a treat!

Still deciding on the conservation approach towards the original unique paintwork - either colour match the chipping caused by chainsuck, or take a purists approach and clear lacquer over sealing away against moisture leaving as is.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.JPG
    IMG_1921.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 4,458
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 4,458
  • IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 4,458
  • IMG_1918.JPG
    IMG_1918.JPG